584,879 active members*
5,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 98 Haas VFE Locked rotor current?

98 Haas VFE Locked rotor current?

Anyone know how to find the locked rotor current for a Haas VFE? The electrical engineer who is designing our electrical for our new building is requesting this information to provide the power company. I have been told It could be a letter designation or say LRC, LRA or Starting Current.

I don't see any designation on the name plate or on the inside of the electrical panel. Is there a standard place this would be listed on the machine? Would it be on the spindle motor?

Our machine is a 98 Haas VFE, 15HP, 7500 max rpm

Thank you for any help you can provide on this!

Re: 98 Haas VFE Locked rotor current?

I think a safe figure to use is 150% of the motor nameplate amps. The line will never see LRC because spindle drive soft starts the spindle. There also may be a Maximum Amps value on the machine data plate, and that should account for LRC.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim, thanks for the response. The name plate says Full load 40 amps, Largest load 30 amps. So the 40amps should account for the LRC?

-Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by alpydawg View Post
    Jim, thanks for the response. The name plate says Full load 40 amps, Largest load 30 amps. So the 40amps should account for the LRC?

-Tyler
    I think so. But have a chat with your engineer and see if that figure will make everyone happy. Maybe a call to Haas would be helpful. What the power company is asking for is the full voltage, across the line, starting current. This really doesn't apply in this case so the question is hard to answer.

I'm getting ready for a major power upgrade and I have that same form in front of me right now and I'm trying to figure out how to answer questions that don't really apply. With modern motor controls does anyone do a full voltage across the line motor start? I don't think so.

I attached a spec guide from Baldor, scroll about 2/3 of the way down and there are some guidelines.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by alpydawg View Post
    Anyone know how to find the locked rotor current for a Haas VFE? The electrical engineer who is designing our electrical for our new building is requesting this information to provide the power company. I have been told It could be a letter designation or say LRC, LRA or Starting Current.

I don't see any designation on the name plate or on the inside of the electrical panel. Is there a standard place this would be listed on the machine? Would it be on the spindle motor?

Our machine is a 98 Haas VFE, 15HP, 7500 max rpm

Thank you for any help you can provide on this!
    For LRC you look on the motor Name Plate for the Nema Code Letter which most have this letter relates to the KVA/HP for your locked Rotor current per Hp here is a sample of what to look for

NEMA - The National Electrical Manufacturer's Association - who sets the design standards for motors, has established NEMA Code letter designation to classify motors by the ratio
    of locked rotor kVA per horsepower

Yours will be up in the 60A range for single phase and in the 30A range for 3ph this has nothing to do with the machine Name plate Amps
    Mactec54