584,846 active members*
4,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper Drive Red Light

I found a few threads on failed leadshine stepper drives, does anyone know what is involved to use a retail version of the drive and convert/modify the top Phoenix plug to work with the tormach ribbon connector? The retail version of the drive is like half the price of the Tormach.

Also, super pissed that this drive failed so quickly. Probably 50 hours on this machine.

Re: Stepper Drive Red Light

It's fairly simple to adapt the wiring. Your options are to either buy a mating ribbon connector and some ribbon wire and build an adapter harness that maintains the original wiring or remove the connector that's on the factory wiring and connect them to the new stepper's screw terminal connector. In piecing together my 4th axis, I chose the first option because it gives me options if/when I have to replace that drive. I can either leave the adapter for the screw terminal connection or remove it for a ribbon connector. Saves me a lot of possible headache down the road. The downside of that is having to purchase the mating connector and wire but I think that was all of 20 bucks.

All that said, have you contacted tormach about the issue? I had a drive belt fray on me recently and much to my surprise they sent me a new one under warranty. I assumed it would be considered a wear item and I would have to pay for it despite the machine having very few hours on it. Granted a belt is a much cheaper part if I had to pay for it than a drive but it's worth reaching out to them to see what the response is.

Yeah, check the warranty. Tormach does have one, as opposed to some of the cheaper imports :-)

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    It's fairly simple to adapt the wiring. Your options are to either buy a mating ribbon connector and some ribbon wire and build an adapter harness that maintains the original wiring or remove the connector that's on the factory wiring and connect them to the new stepper's screw terminal connector. In piecing together my 4th axis, I chose the first option because it gives me options if/when I have to replace that drive. I can either leave the adapter for the screw terminal connection or remove it for a ribbon connector. Saves me a lot of possible headache down the road. The downside of that is having to purchase the mating connector and wire but I think that was all of 20 bucks.

All that said, have you contacted tormach about the issue? I had a drive belt fray on me recently and much to my surprise they sent me a new one under warranty. I assumed it would be considered a wear item and I would have to pay for it despite the machine having very few hours on it. Granted a belt is a much cheaper part if I had to pay for it than a drive but it's worth reaching out to them to see what the response is.
    I did contact them, twice. Once by phone (the woman said they "might" call me back), and once by the email form on their website. No response so far. I actually asked the lady if she said they might call me back and she confirmed that because I wasn't in front of the machine they may or may not call me. Ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Yeah, check the warranty. Tormach does have one, as opposed to some of the cheaper imports :-)
    I did, the warranty is 12 months. I purchased in Nov '18 but like I said I really don't have many hours on this machine. I would hope at $20k+ I would get a replacement but I guess I'll keep waiting for them to call me back.