584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Anyone ever add bellows covers to their gantry?

Anyone ever add bellows covers to their gantry?

My machine is a cncrp4896 pro. I have been cutting aluminum a lot recently and i cannot control the chips as much as I want to. I am looking around to see if anyone has added bellows to the gantry to cover the bearing rails. I have covers over the y axis, not bellows though. They work very well for me and are super simple fabric covers that I made from outdoor fabric and some 3d printed brackets to hold them in place.

I am not familiar enough with bellows to understand if they will compress enough when the router moves to either end. Also, I am not sure of what sizes I would get. I see there are some that cover individual rails and some that cover, seemingly, 2 rails because of the width. I think I would have to design a way to attach them to the bearing ends. That is easy enough.

Maybe I am overthinking it though. Does it matter much or can I rely on the wipers in the bearings to keep chips from entering?

Re: Anyone ever add bellows covers to their gantry?

I have been thinking about it since I upgraded to true square linear rail on my machine.