584,874 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face 1212 CNC Terrible Chatter problems :/

Good evening everybody, this is my first post within this forum :wave: :banana:

I recently purchased a 1212CNC from China, delivered to Perth, Australia. I am making a video of my entire experience however I would like to first address some problems first. Please view the attached video which showcases the terrible, gantry shaking chatter along the Y axis, primarily in the Y+ direction, on a cut with a 6mm endmill (see photo for speeds, feeds etc.) and I can't seem to overcome it. I also stripped the 4 screws which connect the Z axis to the gantry whilst zeroing the DRO's and will be getting a 4140 steel replacement made on a 5 axis DMG Mori at my friends workshop. Along with the material upgrade from cast 6061 aluminium to 4140, I will also be making the M6 holes into M8's with 35mm of thread engagement. I believe that this will reduce the chatter however I still want to know what the community reckons.

Cheers from down under!

Regards,

Aaron

Re: 1212 CNC Terrible Chatter problems :/

Looks like a milling operation being carried out on a router.Which did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Looks like a milling operation being carried out on a router.Which did you buy?
    Hey mate, not too sure I understand?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRCAustralia View Post
    Hey mate, not too sure I understand?
    The machine looks like a router with a T-slot table and the spindle speed is in the range of a router.Routers are really intended for wood and plastic and may be used for some light alloys with very light cuts.A machinist with experience of High Speed Machining might be able to give specific advice for such materials,but it did look like a very deep cut on a light machine that isn't really rugged enough for the demands that such a cut imposed on it.I was also a bit puzzled by the reference to a DRO as the software commonly displays the machine location.What software are you controlling the machine with?

Hey mate, cheers for the reply! I was machining 6061 T6 on the router, 4mm DOC and 0.5mm stepover. The spindle is 3KW and has sufficient torque between 3500-24000rpm with 18,000 being the sweet spot. I was setting a work offset and my macro crashed the machine into my vise, which stipped the 4 screws connecting the Z axis to the X axis. As for software, I am using Mach 3, my reference to the DRO's were for zeroing the axis