584,865 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hi. Michael in Canberra

Hi, michael in Canberra. First post. CNC conversion on my X2 mill. Have all hardware, steppers, drivers and power supply. Read EVERY post i could for a couple weeks. I am thinking novusun cnc motion controller and MACH 3, because I have been practacing on Fusion 360. Fusion 360 is free but thats the only free thing so far. I realize that Linux is free but I have no experiance.(or perhaps a confusing experience) in the past and it seems limited in controllers. I am not young so I have more money than time but still , not much money.
    Is there cheap good and easy way to connect desktop to drivers? I realize thats a bit of a joke. Mach 3 is like around $200 if I understand right and a motion controller is at least $130. Is there a magic second way that is; flexible, more than one G code transmitter; accurate and simple and available in australia without waiting 2 months from china.Am i barking up wrong tree
    hope this makes sense, I am dove in and realized that it was deep water. Big learning curve
    Mick

Re: Hi. Michael in Canberra

e. Mach 3 is like around $200 if I understand right and a motion controller is at least $130.
    The harsh reality is that playing with CNCs is not a cheap hobby.
    The costs you have listed are very low for this field.
    Mach3 and an ESS is a very common and reliable solution. They have been used on much more expensive machines than your router.
    (Try Homann Designs for a reliable Aus source.)

Cheers
    Roger

I had an ethernet smooth stepper and demo version of mach 3. I went to purchase the license for mach and wasn't happy with how expensive it still is considering its sort of obsolete.
    You will find it cheaper to get uccnc and one of their motion controllers.
    I sold my ess and got uccnc and a uc400eth for not much more than the price of mach 3.

Forgot to mention i brought them from 'my tool store' in Aus.
    Good price and received in about week.
    Cheers

UCCNC - competition!
    Always good to have some.

Cheers
    Roger
    (no commercial connection, just a user)

Thanks guys/girls?
    Its a bit late, i put this in the wrong "slot". Should have been help? The tools for my mill probably cost as much as the mill and the CNC is probably more than both.
    Any way, for what its worth I already pulled the trigger, Nvem CNC, the ethernet one. As i mentioned, this stuff is a deep mental dive, and I have only just started on the CAD/CAM bit. The electronics are no problem (not much anyway) but the rest.........
    Thanks for kind replies, wish I read them sooner

No probs.
    If your mechanically or electrically inclined you'll find you will pick it up fairly easy.
    Cad/cam isn't to bad either.