584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Advice for Fume Extractor -- FiltraBox Expand vs BOFA AD 1000?

Advice for Fume Extractor -- FiltraBox Expand vs BOFA AD 1000?

Hi everyone,

I purchased a G Weike laser cutter ~ 2 years ago and have been loving it!

It currently vents out a window, but, in the summer, with our home windows open, cutting acrylic or PETG, the whole house winds up smelling like plastic fumes.

So I'd like to get a powerful fume extractor to instead absorb the fumes.

I have boiled my search down to the FiltraBox Expand 2 (FiltraBox) which I think is the same as the BossLaser FiltraBOX Expand (https://www.bosslaser.com/expand-fil...extractor.html), or the BOFA AD 1000 iQ https://bofainternational.com/us/fin...lts/ad-1000-iq

I realize others have built their own fume extractors but I do not really have the time to do that (though it sure looks fun!).

Does anyone have any personal experience with the above two fume extractors, or any similar ones?

My laser cutter is a G Weike LC6090, 80W CO2 laser: https://www.gwklaser.com/co2/LC6090.html ... I would prefer to get too powerful a fume extractor than too wimpy, for my laser and the smokey materials (acrylic, PETG, plywood) we cut.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Advice for Fume Extractor -- FiltraBox Expand vs BOFA AD 1000?

Also, if any one has suggestions on how to size the fume extractor (CFM, area of filters, etc.) based on size/usage of my laser, please chime in. I tried to ask G Weike through chat and they said they would reach out over email but I never heard back. Maybe there is a simple formula of the wattage of your laser, size of the cutting area, air volume inside the machine, etc.

Hey Mike, what did you decide on? I'm new here, and new to lasers. I built my own extractor with the Bofa 350 AD filters. Problem is the prefilter completely clogged within a few hours, and it's a $130 filter, very disappointed. So now I'm trying to figure out how to prefilter the prefilter. I've bought some 4" thick Merv 13 filters which I hope will protect the prefilter more. They're about $15 each, so hopefully I can get at least a week out of them, but I don't know. I'll be cutting 1/4" maple MDF about 6 hours a day. Anyways, let me know how yours is going, I'm curious how good the filters are for those machines and how often they'd need to be replaced