585,717 active members*
3,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > Integrating Dyna EM-3116 with PC

Integrating Dyna EM-3116 with PC

I would like to integrate the Dyna EM-3116 mill to a PC and CAM environment. Few quick questions...

Is the RS-232 pinout available somewhere?

What format do the files need to be in for (floppy) transmission?

Plenty of Solidworks post-processors are available for different Dyna models with numbers running from 2000-4000. It may be worthwhile to use one rather than write a new post processor. Are the EM-3116 NC-codes compatible with some other model?

Re: Integrating Dyna EM-3116 with PC

I was able to find a programming manual, it's for the 4M.

Pinout says with software handshake (9 pins in/out):
    2->3
    3->2
    5->5

Seems to be the standard protocol.

The unit has a 9-pin male RS-232 connector and there is only a male USB to RS-232 cable here for now. I tried mirroring the pins and receiving a NC-code with NCLink. No sign of life, NCLink waits for the upload...

Any ideas what could be wrong? Perhaps the pinout is not correct on the manual?

Re: Integrating Dyna EM-3116 with PC

The RS-232 communication refuses to work. No messages from the machine appear on the computer.

However, when data transmission is initiated on the controller some voltages very slightly but surely change between pins. Are there any troubleshooting steps to establish the function of the pins?

On the controller, there is no voltage differential between pins 2, 3 and 5 (supposed ground). Some pins read 14 V, and indeed slightly change on upload.