585,888 active members*
4,430 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Lpt interface card

Simple 3axis interface kit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lpt interface.jpg   Limits&Estop Relay Image.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well done on the hardware. There is no software source to drive the parallel port. Any chance that this was overlooked in building the zip file?

Nice simple interface, good job. I might suggest that the 4.7K pullup is to large. The majority of mechanical limit switches are meant to have at least 5ma of contact current to operate correctly over their life.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by jsteveb View Post
    Well done on the hardware. There is no software source to drive the parallel port. Any chance that this was overlooked in building the zip file?
    jsteveb. Try this on: http://www.colinusher.info/Software/index.html
    absolutely free, absolutely great. Does everything for nothing!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    IC Data sheet
    http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...6/m74hc573.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1H L SW.jpg   2mouse click switch.jpg   3Home Limit.jpg   4Limit.jpg  

Forgive my newbie question but is this to conect to the stepper drivers?

Hello,

i'm looking for optimum schematic for MACH and 3 axis stepper driver.

pin on LPT name

OUT:
    2 clk x
    3 dir x
    4 clk y
    5 dir y
    6 clk z
    7 dir z

IN:
    11 x end
    12 y end
    13 z end
    15 e. stop

Any other suggestion?

BR
    Greg

Question A question about 4 axis opto isolated // interface

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    Nice simple interface, good job. I might suggest that the 4.7K pullup is to large. The majority of mechanical limit switches are meant to have at least 5ma of contact current to operate correctly over their life.
    Hi man,
    I just saw your 4 Axis fast OptoIso interface, & as i'm a newbie i was wondering if it's working and has been tested with UHU servo driver, i'm planning to use it to hook 4 UHU's to my PC, so, am i on the right way or did i miss something ?

I didn't find a user's manual about it, so, i wasn't sure if it was working or just experimental, that's why i'm asking for your help & advice.

Thanks !

Best regards.
    cnc2.

Hi man,
    I just saw your 4 Axis fast OptoIso interface, & as i'm a newbie i was wondering if it's working and has been tested with UHU servo driver, i'm planning to use it to hook 4 UHU's to my PC, so, am i on the right way or did i miss something ?

I'm talking about this one http://pminmo.com/4axisopto/4axisDIYopto.htm Does it has all what is needed for a 3 or 4axis milling machine(limit switches ...etc) ?

I didn't find a user's manual about it, so, i wasn't sure if it was working or just experimental, that's why i'm asking for your help & advice.

Thanks !

Best regards.
    cnc2.

Yes it's tested and works and it handle switches. I can't say about compatability with the UHU drive, I don't follow the servo threads.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    Yes it's tested and works and it handle switches. I can't say about compatability with the UHU drive, I don't follow the servo threads.
    Thanks for the reply !

I'm happy to know it's working & has been tested, but, other questions:

1) Uli Huber the maker of the UHU board said about the // interface: "The connection to the PC based CNC application is the widespread step/dir interface plugged on the PC parallel port", so, do you think your "4 Axis fast OptoIso interface" can be compatible with UHU ?

Here is the info about UHU driver: "interface: RS232 34.800, 8 Bit, 1 Stop, No Parity" from http://www.uhu-servo.de/servo_en/UHU...0_short_en.pdf do you think your interface is compatible after that description ? (sorry i'm a newbie so please help me)

2) is it compatible with EMC2 ?
    3)what driver board it has been tested with ?
    4)What is compatible with it for sure ?

Thanks for your help !

cnc2

compatable

right off the bat it looks like your board is a serial interface...the opto board is a parallel connection....I dont think it will work but I am sure some more experienced minds will chime in to correct or agree.....

Bob

Smile How to setup limit switch

Hi Experter,
    I just built CNC table structure. Mechanic is nearly completed. Electronic is begun to wire. I have some questions to ask you. I want your help with limit switch setup. I have been walking through the Mach3 setup tutorial and making some progress.The setup with Mach3 works OK with steppers working and the motors run smoothly.But I have run into a problem with limit switches.I have checked out the wiring and haven't found any problems but don't work. I use pin10,11and12 for home limit switches.pin13 for X+,X-,Y+,Y-,Z+,Z-and pin15 for emergency stop.I test g-code of road runner from mach3.Motor run smoothly and then I press stop on mach screen.It's ok,motor don't run.Motor don't response when I press on external limit switches. Pls take a look my wiring from attached files. I want to know what is wrong.

Hope your help
    Mongkol

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard52 View Post
    right off the bat it looks like your board is a serial interface...the opto board is a parallel connection....I dont think it will work but I am sure some more experienced minds will chime in to correct or agree.....

Bob
    Thanks for the reply !

I've been confused becaus the UHU home page says: "The connection to the PC based CNC application is the widespread step/dir interface plugged on the PC parallel port".

The UHU user's manual says: "Parametrizing is done by plain text dialogue over a serial communication interface."

Are you using UHU ? if yes then which interface are you using for parametrizing and which one for cnc software?

Thanks !

cnc2

UHU

Not using UHU... or servos...but I do know that the interfaces or drivers as they are referred to here are different types... a Gecko driver is a parallel interface and others are serial Some of the supported board for control are internal to the computer and are pci..these tend to be a bit finicy to set up as a Newby... you just need to determine what you want to use and configure from there...Easiest setup will be Gecko or a number of others listed here on the Zone..The reason I say that is all the problems that can happen have already happened to other users and they will help you with support.......From EMC website UHU is not readily supported.

Sorry If I was no help

Bob

Not using UHU... or servos...but I do know that the interfaces or drivers as they are referred to here are different types... a Gecko driver is a parallel interface and others are serial Some of the supported board for control are internal to the computer and are pci..these tend to be a bit finicy to set up as a Newby... you just need to determine what you want to use and configure from there...Easiest setup will be Gecko or a number of others listed here on the Zone..The reason I say that is all the problems that can happen have already happened to other users and they will help you with support.......From EMC website UHU is not readily supported.

Sorry If I was no help

Bob
    Thanks for the reply !

Now i know that UHU must be connected to pc via a serial interface for configuring PID & other things internal to the board, but to drive a cnc machine with a machining software(MACH, TURBOCNC...) you must connect the UHU to PC via step/dir parallel interface it can be an opto-isolated one, but what i don't know is what makes this step/dir parallel interface compatible and that one not compatible with UHU ?

For EMC2, i think UHU ain't readily supported because it's open source & maybe Gecko,xylotech & other just sponsorised the EMC2 developpement team, i think it's all about the money because all readily supported interfaces in EMC2 are commercial ones !

Thanks !

cnc2.

UHU

OK let me simplify my reply...For the most common DIY guys like myself for example...I am no expert nor claim to be.

Using an interface to do one job and another to do something else just seems to get in the way of a simplified setup...thus the reason you are confused.......retract any help I offered.

Using a Gecko or xylotek or simular board is just easier....hack away at whatever free stuff you want to use...I am not paid by those guys...just adding any help where I can if it is requested....I use windows because it is easier and I am more familiar with it..Use Mach3 because it is supported and used by hundreds of others and they can add support (also not paid like me).I dont behove those who want to make a living. I like to eat too

More 2 cents than asked

Bob

Pls take a look my wiring from attached files. I want to know what is wrong.
    Mongkol

It looks as if you are hooked to the NC side of your limits. Those look fine...however your sketch shows that there is no limits breaking the line between pin 18 and +5 is this true? if so there is the problem.

OK let me simplify my reply...For the most common DIY guys like myself for example...I am no expert nor claim to be.

Using an interface to do one job and another to do something else just seems to get in the way of a simplified setup...thus the reason you are confused.......retract any help I offered.

Using a Gecko or xylotek or simular board is just easier....hack away at whatever free stuff you want to use...I am not paid by those guys...just adding any help where I can if it is requested....I use windows because it is easier and I am more familiar with it..Use Mach3 because it is supported and used by hundreds of others and they can add support (also not paid like me).I dont behove those who want to make a living. I like to eat too

More 2 cents than asked

Bob
    Thanks for your help Bob !

Like you, i am using windows, but, try EMC2 it's a live cd (burn & play no install required)
    i tried it & it seems to be cool.

When i said that Gecko ..etc were supported by EMC2 for commercial purpose, i didn't mean to blame the developpers for trying to get some reward for such a good and free OS & softs pack, i just meant that if UHU ain't readilly supported by EMC2 it doesn't mean it's a "bull s h i t" driver board, that's all !

Sorry i ain't sure to get the real meaning of "More 2 cents than asked" (english ain't my mother tongue) what i understood is that it means you gave me more info than i asked for, did i get it ?

Thanks !
    cnc2.

thanks for the circuit.
    but i am confused,is this working circuit or not.
    i am planning to use it for both inputs and outputs.(to be completely safe)
    so before going to make the circuit,i want some one to confirm the circuit.
    Regards

Page 1 of 2 12