584,833 active members*
5,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Help with buying a used Smithy

Help with buying a used Smithy

A friend of mine recently had a relative pass away and the wife of the man is selling some of his belongings. She wants to part with her husbands Smithy 1220XL. I do not know what it is worth and want to give her fair market value for it. It is in good condition and does not look like it was used very much. Can anybody help me with a reasonable offer?

Re: Help with buying a used Smithy

They are $3000 brand new on the smithy site, don't know about used, think last 1220xlt i saw ebay was about 2 months ago for $1100-1200 (didn't watch it to see if it sold or what it really sold for..)

Hope it helps
    Good luck, hopes you enjoy it..

Sorry, just noticed smithy has them on sale right now $2199 brand new...(reg $3300)

it really depends on the tooling that comes with it. $1k absolute tops I reckon. I had one once and had no idea how poor it was until I sold it and bought another lathe.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Thanks for the responses, I know it comes with a rotary table but I don't believe there is much tooling. The little information I could find was ranged from $600 - $1,200. I know its not the best by far but I just want to make a fair offer, that's all.

Hate to be the Grinch, but save your money for something worthwhile. Any machine that tries to do it all does it all poorly. Buy a small lathe or mill, not these every-thingers. It's like a Shopsmith woodworking machine. Looks great at first glance, but doesn't do anything as good as the real thing.

I've been through the multitask mill/lathe route and have friends who have owned Shopsmiths. Neither machine ever put a smile on my face or my friends. That is until it was sold.

Ha-ha... didn't realize I was on a Smithy forum. Gonna get my ass chewed on this one. Gulp!