585,599 active members*
3,763 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Constant High Pitch Sound From Only One Stepper Motor

Hybrid View

Constant High Pitch Sound From Only One Stepper Motor

Hello all, I hope this is the correct subforum to ask this:

Three different size and different brand motors are working fine on my build, but I have one NEMA 34 hybrid stepper motor and driver from Longs Motor that isn't: the motor makes a constant "alarm" style noise when it is energized. It functions correctly but it is loud and incessant! When I start the machine, it sounds off, stops briefly, and then continues as long as the driver is powered. Please help me troubleshoot this dang motor/driver.

https://youtu.be/MVeVjrTZVe4

Thanks for your help,
    Tanner Frisby

Re: Constant High Pitch Sound From Only One Stepper Motor

I've had a similar experience when a soldered connection to the motor became loose.I tracked it down and redid the soldering and it has been fine since.

Re: Constant High Pitch Sound From Only One Stepper Motor

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I've had a similar experience when a soldered connection to the motor became loose.I tracked it down and redid the soldering and it has been fine since.
    Thank you for your response.

My particular resolution was to swap out the driver. The noise followed the driver, so a new driver fixed my problem. I have a hunch that something similar to your issue is occuring inside the driver. I have MUCH more torque with the new driver. I could see a faulty connection not always providing current to one of the phases and then snapping back into place at a rate in the audible frequency.
    Alass, I don't know what the root problem was and it probably isn't worth investigating further. I got it fixed enough to move onto the next gremlin.

Possible solutions posted on other forums include the following: Change the microstepping rate, Substitute hardware to try to further isolate the issue.