585,729 active members*
4,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > fix or sell novakon torus pro?

fix or sell novakon torus pro?

Hi all.

Haven't posted much on the forum in the last 5 years.

I have a Novakon Torus Pro, installed brand new in 2019. The y-axis has developed some backlash, which is due to the axial movement of the feedscrew (visual observation). So the ballscrew appears to be ok, it is likely the bearings on either end of the screw that need work, replace / upgrade
    I am very used to working on my own equipment; now considering upgrading to a larger machine, and one that is more heavy duty (A Haas TM-2p)
    Thing is, I can't figure out how to replace the t-axis bearings, don't know how to remove the y-axis feedscrew, or back off the feedscrew from the bearing block to remove the bearing block for working on it.
    With help, we were unable to unscrew the 'castle' nut on the y-axis feedscrew bearing, closest to the stepper motor end. Did loosen the 2 locking set screws (one of which bounced off into the chip pan, never to be seen again)
    So, now, do i spend more time fussing with it, or sell it as is, and buy a new machine?
    Machine is still useable, but 0.017" backlash on the y-axis, I don't feel comfortable running it like that.

Re: fix or sell novakon torus pro?

Before removing everything I'd try re-tightening the bearing block and see if that helps , that axis needs adjustment every so often under heavy use

overall it's a quick and easy job . If you don't have a hex head socket for the cap screws that hold the motor - then get some , it's much easier than using and allen key in that tight space .

There's no need to remove the ballscrew . You need to remove the motor , then the coupler , and the nut . To remove the bearing block you need to remove the bolts then pull the pins , after that the block will slide right off towards the back .
    My pins were hammered in tight and they are a pita to pull , hopefully yours were done right and slide out easier . The stock bearings are turds , I went through a few sets of bearing on the y until I bought nsk and haven't had a problem since . The end support bearing is only there for support so don't worry about that one other than giving it a shot of lube

Thank you, that is helpful, yes I've had the stepper motor out a few months ago, coolant/chips had accumulated and rusted out the stepper motor internal bearing. new motor, $125 or so, not bad.
    So, to clarify, once I get the stepper motor removed (I'll leave the coupler on the stepper motor shaft, easier that way), use a socket on the 'castle nut'?, I assume it is conventionally threaded? Problem we had, turning the castle nut, the feedscrew wants to turn.
    bearing block bolts have some rust on them, so will hit with wd-40 and let sit for awhile.
    DO you happen to have a part number for the nsk bearing?
    This is a lifesaver, thank you I really appreciate it.

I think the bearing is 7004 , you can find the number on the novakon site and find an nsk angular contact to match that number . The screw will want to turn when tightening . I clamp vise grips on the ballscrew on the opposite side of the block from the nut . Vise grips on a ballscrew is cringe worthy but the nut will never travel near that point anyhow . Also since I don't have a spanner for that nut size I use vise grips to tighten the nut to

I found the bearings, a matched precision set, $375, NSK brand, bought the best.

And I just ordered a HAAS machine, brand new. Hate to part with the Novakon Torus Pro, but, it is time. Bought it new February 2019!

What is the thing worth? Although the bearings needs to be installed, as it has too much backlash, everything works, and it is in overall good condition.

those are some expensive bearings

It's an orphan machine now that novakon is done with selling mills , but the site is still up and at least it looks like they sell them . It's worth is hard to say , if the buyer knows novakon is shut down then they probably won't want to pay top dollar . Mine has an awful lot of use and I bought it in 2015 , I'd want 1/2 price of new at the minimum

And the Novakon is for sale. Info is on Denver Craigslist