I have a 8 yr old G Weike 1290 100 watt laser. My power supply has zero markings on it except 110 written in sharpie. The power supply was swapped by a tech when it was installed brand new because the original didn't work.

I take very good care of this machine. It has been getting way more use than usual the past 6 months at higher power settings than I've run it in the past 8 years. I replaced the RECI tube about 4 weeks ago - same as the one I had.

Today I had been running it for a few hours and heard a "squee" at the start of a job. The motors kept running but it refused to fire. I still had power to all other electrical components. I went through safety switch check etc. I decided it was probably the power supply after reading through some very helpful forum threads. I do not have an extra... duh duh duh, so I will be down for a few days.

I opened up my power supply and I found a pretty awful looking component. I'm pretty sure I found it DigiKey MF72-005D20 INRUSH CURRENT LIMITER and ordered a few so I can fix this power supply for a backup. I'm hoping this thing is just old and couldn't hack it anymore, but I fear this blew because of an underlying issue.

My question is, what would cause a current limiter to blow and is there anything else I should be checking on while I wait for my parts? I can rewire a whole building with AC power, but I'm a dum-dum when it comes to DC.

One more thing... for the life of the machine I've always walked over the machine control panel to start the job but I got lazy and a 2-3 times in the past week I've hit START from my LaserCAD software... which is what I did the moment this thing blew. Coincidence? I have a 20' long usb/printer cable from my computer to my laser which I know is pushing it. Could that have been the problem?

Thanks!