585,933 active members*
3,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lost in space - Isolation Board??

I want Mach3 to turn on/off my router when the code tells it to, but I'm a little confused with what I need to accomplish this. I'm thinking I need an opti-isolation board. Im not sure if it needs to be AC or DC or solid state or what?? Also If anyone could tell me how this thing hooks up to the router, it would be greatly apprciated. What I'm thinking is, I can hook up the board to an outlet so I can just plug the router in and wont have to strip any wires on the router cord. I've never touched one of these things, so I dont really want to go out blind and buy one. Any recomendations?
    C. Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by CPierce18 View Post
    I want Mach3 to turn on/off my router when the code tells it to, but I'm a little confused with what I need to accomplish this. I'm thinking I need an opti-isolation board. Im not sure if it needs to be AC or DC or solid state or what?? Also If anyone could tell me how this thing hooks up to the router, it would be greatly apprciated. What I'm thinking is, I can hook up the board to an outlet so I can just plug the router in and wont have to strip any wires on the router cord. I've never touched one of these things, so I dont really want to go out blind and buy one. Any recomendations?

I bought something like this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOLID-STATE-RE...QQcmdZViewItem
    It simply acts as a switch, if you wire pin no 1 (I think) from your breakout board to the dc side , 3-32v, and the ac side across the other terminals then when you request 'spindle on' in the software it will operate this relay.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

Hello

I also want to engage my router via a Solid State Relay (SSR)

A friend gave me this SSR: Omron G3R-OA202SZN rated at 5-24vdc 240vac 2A. I just hook it up with an elektromagnetic switch which is capable to draw up to 20 A. No problem so far.

I´m just a little concerned about whenever the relay will damage my port or not? The SSR is rated to draw max 15mA, but is this too much? I´ve heard that output pins can only deliver a "few" mA. I got a 5V port on my pc.

Datasheet: http://doc.chipfind.ru/html/omron/g3roa202szn.html

Thanks in advance

CNCDevil

You may find some more info here, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...020&#post38020
    also do a forum search for 2n7000
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks a lot, just what I needed :idea:

Just another question:

I godt 5vdc available on my board which I´ll use to power the relay (Daves HCNCPro board). Can you guys please pick out one of these FETs as a substitute for the 2n7000?:

http://el-supply.dk/?M=Searchmode&sh...3FId%3D&Page=1

Brian

Unfortunately I cannot read the data sheets, but the 2N7000 was designed as an interface between 5v logic and higher voltages (max 60v @ 250ma).
    So if you can find an N-Fet that will switch at 5v in and support the current of the load you wish to use, you should be OK.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot read the data sheets, but the 2N7000 was designed as an interface between 5v logic and higher voltages (max 60v @ 250ma).
    So if you can find an N-Fet that will switch at 5v in and support the current of the load you wish to use, you should be OK.
    Al.
    I cannot see the data sheets either. The page says that you have to google the component name or look for it at www.alldatasheet.com

The current of the load would be that of my SSR, which is max 15mA.

A guess would be that I pick the one which is most equivalent to the 2n7000. I just have to search for it on the page.

Thank you for your time

Brian

Hi again

I got a tip from one of my colleagues to go a radio-amature located in my town. He had his house filled up with electronic compononts everywhere (as the word says, he has no wife) and he sold me this transistor:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/BS/BS170.html

He mentioned something about that I had to use a resistor along with it, but I´m not sure if it´s the case. Maybe he did not understand exactly the purpose of the transistors use.

Please take a look at it and tell me what you think?

Brian

It appears to be very close in characteristics to the 2N7000, the only reason I can see needing a resistor is if what you are interfacing to is open collector.
    Try it first without.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks, I´ll give it a try and tell you further on what happent.

Brian

Al, just to be completely sure...

Wirering:

Pin 18...25 (ground) to Source

Optional output pin to Gate

Drain to (-)terminal on SSR

SSR (+)terminal to 5vdc onboard

Better save than sorry...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CNCDevil View Post
    Hello

I also want to engage my router via a Solid State Relay (SSR)

A friend gave me this SSR: Omron G3R-OA202SZN rated at 5-24vdc 240vac 2A. I just hook it up with an elektromagnetic switch which is capable to draw up to 20 A. No problem so far.

I´m just a little concerned about whenever the relay will damage my port or not? The SSR is rated to draw max 15mA, but is this too much? I´ve heard that output pins can only deliver a "few" mA. I got a 5V port on my pc.

Datasheet: http://doc.chipfind.ru/html/omron/g3roa202szn.html

Thanks in advance

CNCDevil
    Most parallel ports can sink 16ma no problem. You can connect 5V to the dc+ of the ssr, and the output pin of the parallel port (pin 1 for example) to the negative of the ssr. I've attached two ways to buffer the lpt port also. One via AL's 2n7000, the other a bipolar approach I like, plus wiring an ssr direct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fetdrive.png   ssrdrive.png   ssrdirect.PNG  
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by CNCDevil View Post
    Al, just to be completely sure...
    Pin 18...25 (ground) to Source
    Optional output pin to Gate
    Drain to (-)terminal on SSR
    SSR (+)terminal to 5vdc onboard
    Better save than sorry...
    Brian
    Sorry I missed it yesterday my DSL provider went down, but Phil has answered your question.
    Lets know if it worked.
    Al.

Albert E.