584,833 active members*
5,509 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setting work offsets

How do I offset different sized work pieces and have tool automatically adjust ZTool height(s)?

Hopefully this is a simple to answer and stupid question.

Few months ago, I got an MB16 with SLC CNC 6.107 for home shop.
    I started buying up NMTB30 holders so I didn't have to change and reset Z-Height every time I changed a cutting tool.
    Now I'm ready to touch off and store all my different cutters and I know where in machine I have tool library.

The question is, how do I tell the tool where the zero is for the work piece?
    I see where in the Jog (F2) or HDW (F3) menus I can zero X & Y by using F5 & F6 (G54-X & G54-Y), but the only thing for the Z is a an F7 (ZTool).

Problem with that, is that it only changes Z-Height for that one tool, and the rest of the tools are unaffected.
    Clearly, the tool is smart enough to know that if i have 1 tools in the library and say each tool is exactly 1" longer then the previous, when I touch off on a part with tool 5 for example, the other 9 tool heights should also be adjusted. Am I wrong?

Like I said, this is a home shop machine, but lets say I wanted to make 10 gizmos and each required 3 tool changes. No matter how careful I could try, each workpiece will be slightly off.
    I know I can use a jig, base holder, etc. For sake of argument lets say that each piece is different.

Re: Setting work offsets

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200905_081911_2.jpg  

There is a parameter that will turn on the G54-Z on your screen. I'm not sure where it is or why this is even turned off, It was off on my machine. I had Milltronics walk me through it after I found out this was available. Give them a call.

I called them yesterday. Walked thru the menus but couldn't find the setting.
    The TS is escalating it to next level but told me it might not be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    There is a parameter that will turn on the G54-Z on your screen. I'm not sure where it is or why this is even turned off, It was off on my machine. I had Milltronics walk me through it after I found out this was available. Give them a call.

It may be because your machine doesn't have a tool changer? I'm surprised they didn't tell you why.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    It may be because your machine doesn't have a tool changer? I'm surprised they didn't tell you why.
    The tech I spoke to was very pleasant and tried to help.
    We went into Lev.3 settings and found the area where it 'should have been'.
    He told me the line should be right after (I can't remember now), but that option wasn't there.
    Tech told me he was more of a hardware guy but was going to send an email to the software dude.

In MDI try:
    PB489=255

Quote Originally Posted by stagen View Post
    In MDI try:
    PB489=255
    I did that. What am I looking for?
    I typed that under the F9(Misc).
    I pressed F1 (Store) and Cycle Start
    It took me theo the Display window (normally F6), but no changes to Jog nor HDW that I can see.

On my control setting that parameter byte turns on/off the G54-Z tab in HDW.
    It’s possible that wasn’t an option until the latter software versions (mine is x.305) or possibly not available on the SLS control.

Quote Originally Posted by stagen View Post
    On my control setting that parameter byte turns on/off the G54-Z tab in HDW.
    It’s possible that wasn’t an option until the latter software versions (mine is x.305) or possibly not available on the SLS control.
    Got it. I wish mine did that. Instead, I saw no change at all.