585,719 active members*
4,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Need help, KL4030 Stepper drivers, C10 BOB

Need help, KL4030 Stepper drivers, C10 BOB

So I've had these KL4030 Stepper Drivers, and this C10 BOB for about 6 years. They've made the transition between a few homemade cnc routers as my needs have changed. A while back I picked up an older Mimaki me500 engraver. I gutted it of all the old electronics and stripped it down. I bought new timing pulleys all around, and put my nema23 425ozin steppers in place. The entire machine is ballscrew driven x,y, and z. I went through the normal procedure in mach3, and calibrated each axis in the settings screen. First I went through each axis with my 6" digital fowler calipers. Once I got my steps per and adjusted my accel, and velocity, I went to to the MDI screen and one axis at a time I ran single lines of code to jog each axis back and forth across a 4" span to confirm how much backlash I has as well as repeatability. All of my testing came back within .0005-.001
    So repeatable within about half a thousand, to a thousandth, better than what I even need. So checked backlash by also going back and forth on each axis, and the same result. So I went through, setup my spoil board on my tslot table and created a setup for indexable workholding. Now I went to run a plaque for a customer the other day, and it has a 3d carving along with some lettering. When I was was running the 3d carving the z axis has been creeping up on me. After about 1 to 2 mins of run time, the z axis has found it self about .125" above the point it started. Now I have gone through this machine very diligently. Mechanically this machine is rock solid. So I started to do some testing, one change at a time to figure out exactly what seems to be causing it. I went through methodically and switched out the x and z axis to test my program. X axis had a little noticeable position change while the z axis had the same amount of change. Then switched them back. I switched out the y and z axis next, and there was no noticable position change in the y axis, but the z axis still performed the same, gaining height over the top of the work. So I'm at a loss here as to what is going on. If you have any suggestions or advice it would greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Blendwood View Post
    So I've had these KL4030 Stepper Drivers, and this C10 BOB for about 6 years. They've made the transition between a few homemade cnc routers as my needs have changed. A while back I picked up an older Mimaki me500 engraver. I gutted it of all the old electronics and stripped it down. I bought new timing pulleys all around, and put my nema23 425ozin steppers in place. The entire machine is ballscrew driven x,y, and z. I went through the normal procedure in mach3, and calibrated each axis in the settings screen. First I went through each axis with my 6" digital fowler calipers. Once I got my steps per and adjusted my accel, and velocity, I went to to the MDI screen and one axis at a time I ran single lines of code to jog each axis back and forth across a 4" span to confirm how much backlash I has as well as repeatability. All of my testing came back within .0005-.001
    So repeatable within about half a thousand, to a thousandth, better than what I even need. So checked backlash by also going back and forth on each axis, and the same result. So I went through, setup my spoil board on my tslot table and created a setup for indexable workholding. Now I went to run a plaque for a customer the other day, and it has a 3d carving along with some lettering. When I was was running the 3d carving the z axis has been creeping up on me. After about 1 to 2 mins of run time, the z axis has found it self about .125" above the point it started. Now I have gone through this machine very diligently. Mechanically this machine is rock solid. So I started to do some testing, one change at a time to figure out exactly what seems to be causing it. I went through methodically and switched out the x and z axis to test my program. X axis had a little noticeable position change while the z axis had the same amount of change. Then switched them back. I switched out the y and z axis next, and there was no noticable position change in the y axis, but the z axis still performed the same, gaining height over the top of the work. So I'm at a loss here as to what is going on. If you have any suggestions or advice it would greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Solved, thanks for the help