584,871 active members*
5,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

2001 6x12' Multicam Motion Control Retrofit?

Hi Folks! I’m a first-time CNC owner and through a bit of a long story I have found myself in possession of a gorgeous 6x12’ MG Series Multicam router for $1k (+$1k to rent a truck and move it 600 miles so we’ll say $2k It’s needed a lot of cosmetic work, new cable chain/cable track, some rust cleanup and a LOT of cleaning but I’ve been pleased to see what’s underneath all the dust. 16hp ATC Liquid-Cooled Colombo spindle, 750W Yaskawa servos + Yaskawa drives.

It’s missing it’s pendant which is no longer manufactured, and even with the pendant the stock control system only talks to winXP via serial port to software that was modern in 2001. I would like to swap out the motion control system in it’s entirety to a modern solution (…WHICH modern solution I’ll likely ask you folks in a different thread I would like to keep all existing electronics the same, but I’m definitely in a bit over my depth. How would I go about generally finding out if a UCCNC, Smoothstepper, or any available motion controller can talk to my existing electronics? What are the common signal standards used in this sort of thing and have they changed over time?

Here is the information I already have:

My servo drives (Yaskawa SGDH Servopacks) are currently receiving the following lines from the stock motion controller:
    + Step and + Dir on one line
    - Step
    - Dir
    And one “Input Supply” terminal (24v)
    Other notable information from the servo drive manual:
    “Control power supply input for sequence signals: Users must provide the +24-V power supply.”
    “The voltage input range for speed and torque references is a maximum of ±12 V.”

My Stepper Drive (Pacific Scientific Model 6410-001-N-N-N for the rotary ATC) receives the following lines from the stock motion controller
    + Step and + Dir on one line
    - Step
    - Dir
    1x Shield Drain line

As for the Spindle Drive (Yaskawa GPD 515 G5) the best I can divine is that all the control signals the spindle drive is receiving from the MC are:
    R + and S + on one line
    R- and S- on one line
    Judging from the Spindle Drive input list I’m guessing R is ‘Run’ and S is ’Stop’. It is noted that these terminals source +24Vdc @ 8mA max.

——

Obviously there are many other sensors and relays involved in this machine, but based on this information would you say it is possible to do a 1-1 swap of my current motion controller to one of these modern controllers? Are there details I am missing that I should look for? I should also note that there are many other sensors already on the machine I would like to continue to use including all homing sensors and various ATC sensors. Are there things I should check for concerning these existing sensors to ensure they would play well with a modern motion control board? I think I’m lacking a basic understanding of how these various components talk to each other.

Thank you very much folks, I’m a bit out of my depth! Excited about this project and excited to share progress.

Re: 2001 6x12' Multicam Motion Control Retrofit?

In general it is pretty easy to upgrade a Multicam machine to a new controller. The drives and sensors use industry standard voltages, so are compatible with most retrofit packages. I would take a look at the Dynomotion Kflop controller.

It does look like your spindle drive is currently controlled by a RS485 serial communication signal. But I'm sure it will also take a standard On/Off and 0 - 10V analog signal. Would require a bit of a change in the drive programming to implement, should be very easy to do.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    In general it is pretty easy to upgrade a Multicam machine to a new controller. The drives and sensors use industry standard voltages, so are compatible with most retrofit packages.
    Copy that Jim, Glad to hear it! I've seen that most of these aftermarket motion controller packages use TTL level logic at 0-5v. Both the spindle and servo drives list that they use 24VDC control logic and 0-10VDC (20k Ohms) for spindle control. Would you expect that these TTL level aftermarket boards would be able to talk to the spindle/servo drives?

Good eye on the RS485 spindle connection Oddly enough that serial connector is only sending 3 pins through, R + and S + on one line R- and S- on one line and one other I'm not sure of yet.

Checking out the Dynomotion Kflop, I wasn't aware of this one. Thank you! Any advantages you know of over the ESS or UCCNC hardware?

The drive step & direction signals would be TTL, with the exception of the ATC stepper enable which is most likely TTL. The rest of the control signals are most likely all 24V, as are all of the sensors. I don't know if the Dynomotion inputs are 24V tolerant, I normally use opto relays between any controller and the field devices, both on the input and output side, so converting between 24V and TTL is no problem.

I really don't know enough about the ESS or UCCNC to comment. I know the Dynomotion is very flexible and can be user programmed. Very well supported.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks again Jim for clarifying this. I got in touch with UCCNC (excellent excellent service) and asked about the voltages you mentioned, they use opto and have a wide range of voltages and I'm planning to go with them. Thanks!