584,817 active members*
4,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Stl to a solid fusion360??

Stl to a solid fusion360??

Hey guys so I have a .stl file I would like to convert to a solid in fusion360. However every time I go to delete the extra certifies I loose contours or get errors. File is rather simple however I’m a beginner when it come to CAD. Looking forward someone to help me out and redraw it?? Willing to pay. Attached is a picture for the actual part. Would like to fill in the center as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Stl to a solid fusion360??

If you already have the file inserted into Fusion, why don't you use it as a means of picking up lines to extrude? This is a simple model and would be a great sample file to learn from. Include the .stl file in your post here and someone can walk you thru it.

Get measurements from the .stl and model a new version from scratch.
    Typically, there's no easy way to create solid models from .stl files. And even if you could, they wouldn't be very good, as .stl files are made up of triangles only, and have no curves. So creating a new model from scratch will give you a much more accurate model.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    If you already have the file inserted into Fusion, why don't you use it as a means of picking up lines to extrude? This is a simple model and would be a great sample file to learn from. Include the .stl file in your post here and someone can walk you thru it.
    Not sure what you mean by picking. Up lines to extrude. It may be possible I haven’t tried I assume did be easier to redraw.

Only to say if the .stll file is correctly scaled, you're simply originating lines from the existing model and extruding from there. I mostly work in Rhino, but still learning Fusion. Might have my wires crossed here.

I have never tried doing that. I will consider this. If I don’t get anywhere I’ll let you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CnCustoms View Post
    Hey guys so I have a .stl file I would like to convert to a solid in fusion360. However every time I go to delete the extra certifies I loose contours or get errors. File is rather simple however I’m a beginner when it come to CAD. Looking forward someone to help me out and redraw it?? Willing to pay. Attached is a picture for the actual part. Would like to fill in the center as well.

The simplest way is to convert it to a Brep. You have to turn off Design History for this option to appear in the Browser context menu. This is the bottom item in the context menu when you right click on the top node. As long as the stl file has fewer than 20,000 faces, it will convert. You'll still have the extra faces on arcs. Turn Design History back on once the Brep is created. If you want to create pure arcs, then project the profile to a sketch. Use 3 point circles or arcs to replace the short line segments. When you have symmetry in a model it's best to only model half, then mirror it.

Another tool to use is the 'Create Mesh Section Sketch' on the Create menu. After creating the sketch, edit it, then use the 'Fit Curves to Mesh Section' to create native Fusion 360 sketch geometry.