I have been working and tweaking this design in Fusion 360. I'm going to wait to for any feedback before doing the detailed connections from the Y rails to the spindle.. This is my 1st build and I know it will be a challenging learning experience. Here are some of my goals:

* Ability to handle 24"x36" workpieces.
* 8" vertical clearance.
* Small enough to fit in the limited space in my shop. The longer X than Y-axis is being driven by this need.
* Ridgid enough for light aluminum work. For things like making parts to add CNC to my engine lathe and mill.
* 4th axis for round 3D work with a 7" swing. I'm considering side walls, partly so I could mount a lathe chuck and put the shaft through the wall.

I'm looking at using a torsion box made from MDO moisture resistant plywood for the base and sealing that. I typically will only be able to access the router from the front, so I'm thinking of raising the base walls under the Y rails to provide for more gantry rigidity. I'll likely put a back on it to help with sawdust and ridigidity, but make it removeable should I ever want to cut stock bigger than the router dimensions.

I'm looking for input as far as ideas or feedback you have regarding this initial design. Thank you!