584,858 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I want to get started

I want to get started in metalworking, any advice?

Re: I want to get started

Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by FunBuilder View Post
    I want to get started in metalworking, any advice?
    In this order
    1. Study Plane Geometry
    2. Study Trigonometry
    3. Study Algebra

Eugene

Why do you want to learn metalworking? Just because you think it might be fun to build some stuff with metal, as your handle suggests? What parts of metalworking appeal to you the most? There's a lot to it - welding, soldering, casting, fabrication, machine building, milling, turning, plasma cutting, plating, finishing - I could go on. Any of these sub-specialties can (and have) taken up people's whole lives. What metals interest you the most - copper, brass, bronze, aluminum, gold, silver, pewter, steel?

Again, mastering any one of these (or others) is a big job. Is there anything particular you want to build - a teaspoon, a starship? There are people here who know a lot of different things, but narrow it down a little if you want to engage them.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by easymike29 View Post
    In this order
    1. Study Plane Geometry
    2. Study Trigonometry
    3. Study Algebra

Eugene
    I've already studied all three of those disciplines although I started with Algebra then went on to Geometry and then on to Trigonometry.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Why do you want to learn metalworking? Just because you think it might be fun to build some stuff with metal, as your handle suggests? What parts of metalworking appeal to you the most? There's a lot to it - welding, soldering, casting, fabrication, machine building, milling, turning, plasma cutting, plating, finishing - I could go on. Any of these sub-specialties can (and have) taken up people's whole lives. What metals interest you the most - copper, brass, bronze, aluminum, gold, silver, pewter, steel?

Again, mastering any one of these (or others) is a big job. Is there anything particular you want to build - a teaspoon, a starship? There are people here who know a lot of different things, but narrow it down a little if you want to engage them.
    Mostly I want to learn about the different kinds of metals and the properties of different metals which I suppose would be better to discuss in the Metallurgy folder. Yes I do want to build stuff with metals, casting is one of the categories that fascinates me the most, I want to make stuff with metal much like some of the stuff I see on youtube. I see people build lightsabers, proton packs from Ghostbusters, and other sorts of stuff you might see in movies. This one fellow even built a lightsaber where he used a metal rod as the blade and he would heat it up so it would get really hot. With 3D printers building stuff has changed and its gotten easier although 3D printers mostly print in plastic, another good material to work with. I know they do make 3D printers that print in metal but those cost a fortune.

As for the metals that interest me the most that would be ferrous metals such as steel although I also like metals such as titanium and aluminum sounds like an easier metal to work with, I've seen people melt aluminum down and cast it since its got a lower melting point than steel. At one time I wanted to make swords like what you might see at a renaissance faire, but from what I've heard that's really hard.

It's not that difficult to make a sword that looks pretty good, although you could spend your life trying to duplicate the work of a katana master, and still fall short. But a convincing-looking steel sword has to be easier to make than a light saber that looks and feels authentic (even if you do heat the blade up to red hot - wear good gloves if you try this at home...).
    Andrew Werby
    Website