584,826 active members*
5,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

fusion 360 planet cnc turning post

I'm very happy about the new lathe and mill posts in fusion360 for planet cnc controllers.
    However, I'm trying to make the tool change work on my lathe with the tool table and am having issues.
    the post puts the tool change (Tn M6) on the same line as the G43.
    this does not seem to work correctly.
    when I try entering a single line with this command, the G43 does not change the offset.
    If I enter 2 separate lines (Tn M6 followed by G43 in next line)
    then it does change the offsets correctly.
    Also, with the code as posted from Fusion360, using turret 102 (QCTP -x) in the tool setup, the TNG displays the cutter path correctly for each tool, but not in the correct relative location on the screen. each tool has xz coordinates that match the code, but the display shows the same xz location in different places on the screen, which seems to be from incorrect application of the offsets in the table.
    I have tested the offsets for each tool by keying in for instance T1 M6 enter then G43 enter.
    for each tool I then verify that the tool is in the correct xz zero location. So I know my offsets are correct.
    I am hoping there is something simple in the setup that explains this. Any help appreciated.

Re: fusion 360 planet cnc turning post

I should have mentioned I'm using the planet cnc mk3/4 controller with TNG V2 software

M6 is usually a script and if executes last. That is after other codes in line. That is why it is not good idea to have G43 and M6 in same line.

okay, thanks for that. I guess I will contact autodesk and ask them to change the post so g43 is on the next line. I was assuming that planet cnc wrote the post but I guess not.
    Also, I tried editing the program to put G43 on the next line, and the TNG display still showed the individual tool sections (3 different tools in 4 separate operations) incorrectly offset on the screen. In fact, the 2 operations with the same tool are shown in different locations, even though they use the same tool and same start point. it is as though one of the operations has the wrong offset.
    I have not tried running it this way because it does not look right.

I just realized that the program is displaying the code in machine coordinates after I put the G43 on the next line. So I think the program is correct, but the display of the program puts the pieces of the code where they occur in machine coordinates instead of in work coordinates. since one of my tools is a boring tool and the rest are grooving tools, there are large offsets so the displayed cutter path is in very different locations.
    Is there a display mode that will display the cutter path in TNG in work coordinates so it looks more understandable on screen? or do I just need to get used to viewing the code in machine coordinates which is the real world?

Go to Settings, under User Interface, select 3D. Scroll down until under the Properties heading you find the Show Offset tick-box. Put a tick in it and the display should be as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    Go to Settings, under User Interface, select 3D. Scroll down until under the Properties heading you find the Show Offset tick-box. Put a tick in it and the display should be as you want.
    Thanks! that's exactly what I needed. I tested my edited code with G43 on next line aand it worked perfectly. I have contacted fusion 360 and they are looking into fixing their post for lathe and mill to put the g43 on a separate line.

I am a huge fan of planet CNC. your tng software allows me to maintain to independent machine profiles for my multifunction machine. I have one setup for lathe and one for 4 axis mill, all using the same Smithy lathe/mill combo machine.

Quote Originally Posted by basementshop View Post
    Thanks! that's exactly what I needed. I tested my edited code with G43 on next line aand it worked perfectly. I have contacted fusion 360 and they are looking into fixing their post for lathe and mill to put the g43 on a separate line.

I am a huge fan of planet CNC. your tng software allows me to maintain to independent machine profiles for my multifunction machine. I have one setup for lathe and one for 4 axis mill, all using the same Smithy lathe/mill combo machine.
    So, I discovered I was behind on software updates so I downloaded and installed the new version that has the show offsets tick box. works great.
    however, I have been using export settings and import settings to switch my machine back and forth between mill and lathe for a long time, and the settings are quite different. now there is no import settings option, only import and export profile.
    I don't see any option to import my mill settings. I can see them there in the folder, but it won't import them.
    I did save my lathe settings as a profile zip file, and confirmed I could re-import it.

It will take me many hours to fix all my mill settings, so is there any way to import the old settings file? I tried just saving the old settings file as a zip file but it didn't seem to work.
    I have attached the zipped settings file I need to recover.

Create screenshots of old settings and retype them. It should not take more than couple of minutes.
    If you have scripts with old syntax then it s little harder, but still not too much.