585,908 active members*
3,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    I just skimmed through this thread, and i wanted to say that i have had this lathe since feb and i have not had any problems with it. i just moved into a new place, and i found that if you take the gearbox off of the bed, its easily moved my only 2 people.

i just bought more tools and accessories within the last month, and some of the things i cant even imagine living without now are: dial indicator, 4-jaw chuck, QC toolpost and a live centre. i know there is plenty more, but those are the ones that made a huge difference in what i was able to do and how easy it was to do it.

dragons_fire
    Thanks for the input.
    Question...Where in Canada are you? (I'm in Toronto)
    Just wondering where you are buying your accessories.

Paul

im in calgary, so i get it all from the calgary busy bee. i went to house of tools looking for their 7x12 and they had horrible service, so i went to busy bee, and ended up with a much better lathe for a little less money....

You have the project half done already, they provide you with a pivot, I assume that when you change a gear set you have to adjust the pivot around to take up the difference. Do you ever change out the idler gear?

chris

Quote Originally Posted by in2steam View Post
    You have the project half done already, they provide you with a pivot, I assume that when you change a gear set you have to adjust the pivot around to take up the difference. Do you ever change out the idler gear?

chris
    I havwe been playing around and figured out a simple setup, but I need to find a spare 70T gear that I will use as the idler. I'm going to check and see if BB can get replacement gears.

Paul

One would hope they can, it might take some time, but for pete's sake you just bought it.

chris

Got the parts no problem. Hopefully this weekend I'll get it all put together.

Paul

It's up and running. The pics tell the story. Pretty simple mod so far. I haven't decided how I want to shift it yet, so for now it's just loosen the bracket lock bolt, rotate left or right for forward or reverse and lock it back down. It takes all of 2 min to do it.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dsc00343.jpg   DSC00357b.JPG   DSC00358a.JPG   DSC00360a.JPG  

DSC00361a.JPG  

Looks nice, my logan is held in with a bolt takes around a minute to switch.
    I have to ask, were did you get the banjo brakcet from? or did you make it?
    chris

Thanks.
    I just modified the factory bracket by welding on an arm.

Paul

Has anyone figured a better setup for the tailstock (ie:camlock or other?). the square nut on mine has slightly rounded its corners and its difficult to tighten down. GrahamC I'm in Embrun as well!

GrahamC Guest
    Hey Nickm23 small world. My home email is [email protected]

As or the tailstock, I kind of like it as is. I am sure I would like a camlock or similar but I have a small box wrench I just leave on the nut and tighten and loosen when needed. the wrench is not so long that it doesn't extend much past the tailstock ram and so is quite convienient.

I have a a few mods to the tool holder and compound that I will post when I get some time and take some pictures.

So far I do like the lathe and am glad I didn't get the 9x20 size.

cheers, Graham

I just got delivery of a B2227L and am SHOCKED!!! It's WAY more lathe than I thought it would be. I mean, $1100CDN, what can you really buy of quality for that? Ive allready hogged some alumumum and scared the heck out of some grade 8 bolts with it LOL. Destroyed a HSS bit on the bolt, but I wanted to see what kinda power it has. Should be plenty fro me. I want to manufacture stuff, but not needind 100+ parts a day LOL

PS, what Tpi would that reverse feed mod allow? I LOVE it. But feel I would have a need for metric threads too.

check out the smithy you tube chanel, they have a whole sectionof setting up the machine, leveling, adjusting gibs, slides, and reducing play in everything... i dont have a smith machine (i have a craftex b2229 combo) but many of the adjustments are the same or similar enough ti give you a good idea of what your looking at and need to adjust. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCau...K4v20NzWlUTF0A

Page 2 of 2 12