585,925 active members*
3,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > HELP Trouble shooting a 20W desktop fiber laser with Maxphotonics source

HELP Trouble shooting a 20W desktop fiber laser with Maxphotonics source

Hello,
    I recently purchased a fiber laser desktop system and the laser source does not seem to be working.
    Maxphotonics P/N MFP-20-C2NN4

The unit I purchased has EZ CAD and a BJJCZ Control Card

The laser will fire, but is so weak it can't produce a mark on any material. If the dot is left in one place on a piece of wood, it will start to smoke, but there is no where near the power that there should be.

The seller I purchased from is no help and seems to be just an importer with no understanding of how the machines work, and they will not take it back, so I am left to figure out things on my own.

The software is NOT in demo mode. I can save files and the laser is getting a signal to fire from the control board.
    All onboard power supplies are outputting the proper voltage and the wire connections are proper and secure.
    I believe either the software is not set up correctly, or the Laser Source is bad.

I have not found very many posts about setting up the software, but from what I have seen, I "think" the software is set up properly. The red dot will show the setup outline, the galvo mirrors work, the control card has a green LED power light, when the card sends a firing signal an additional red LED light on the card comes on.....but no appreciable power at the business end.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the laser source itself? I do not want to take it apart because it has warranty stickers on it.
    I have contacted Maxphotonics about warranty service but so far have had no response.

I do own 2 Co2 laser systems, and multiple CNC routers, so I'm not a total newbie at this kind of thing.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
    Gary

Re: HELP Trouble shooting a 20W desktop fiber laser with Maxphotonics source

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Did you adjust the focus properly?It maybe a silly question.Since you are not a newbie of cnc and laser

These machines don't have a proper diagnostics software. Unfortunately, the only way to troubleshoot is to have spare parts. Typically the machines sold online in the US are made with refurbished parts that barely work. Hence the low prices.

Something on the side - The Chinese part market is unique in that aspect. They have several levels of refurbished parts - refurbished-once, twice, three times They never send the parts for scrap if there is even a small chance to sell them to someone. Because of that, the same part (same part number and manufacturer) could be found "in new condition" at unrealistically low prices. Most Chinese businesses are oriented towards undercutting competitor prices and care little about prestige and fairness. Unless you buy from a trusted assembling factory it is like playing a lottery. Large manufacturers like Maxphotonics typically don't sell directly to final clients, therefore it is highly unlikely to respond to your requests.

Ideally, you should contact the company that assembled the machine but I suspect the online reseller you've purchased from will refuse to disclose the origin of the machine - that is a part of their business model. What I would suggest in your case is to contact few companies on Alibaba that make similar machines and ask them to help you troubleshoot the machine with the idea to buy the components for the repair through them. Focus on the small companies.

The laser is focused properly, but has very weak output. I have run across some comments that say the main laser source will not fire properly if the red dot marker is still on. My red dot stays on. There is no reference to this in any manuals I have found online. My biggest problem so far is the scarce info on how to actually set up the EZCAD software. I have manuals for the MaxPhotonics Laser Source, The Controller Board, and the EZCAD software. There are all kinds of pin-out diagrams, but very little info on setting up the config file in the software, or the parameter settings in the software. Enough of these units sell on Ebay, that I can't believe no one out there has any experience with them.

i posting here , because it can be confusing
    and possible others will run in thi spost too

focal point
    lens has a nominal focal distance

mine is 290 and the actual distance is some 305-310
    i setting focal point by ""sound""
    draw a small circle or square, like 4x4 mm
    and run infinitely with 100 percent power and 20khz

as i raise and drop the head the sound getting loud
    the loudest point is the true focal point

another thing is, lens has to be very clean
    minor fog barely can be seen drops efficiency even with 50 percent

they checking machine before they sending out
    so 99 percent it could work

of course the 1 percent is there like any mechanical thing you buy can has defect

Hello, for questions about setting up the config file in the ezcad software, or the parameter settings in the software, you can log on to the website to leave a message or call us directly.