584,842 active members*
4,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Diy spindle for lathe or milling, right thread?
Page 1 of 2 12

Diy spindle for lathe or milling, right thread?

Hi, I am a new user and dont wanna crash wrong thread, so hope you can help me.
    I am on a vertical mill build, and as I know it will take me a year or two, I break it down in pieces, and after I solved how to reball the cheap linear sliders (hgr 20 hiwin clone) and while I wait for balls for the rolled screws, I am working on the spindle and assy.
    Sherline is too expensive, so my way is to buy a r8 to morse adapter, mtb 2 or 3 for drawbar and machine the item to fit minimum 2, 32904 roller bearings or a better config (2 angular in the bottom and 1 radial in top, under the belt drive).
    I will post pictures as soon as I find out how to, but please tell me what thread I should use, as I dont want to mess anything up here in your soo informative forum that I respect and like so much.
    Cheers Mike.

Sorry for my bad English..maybe string is more precise than thread...

Re: Diy spindle for lathe or milling, right thread?

Hello, English is not my mother tongue, so please excuse me, but do you want to get a milling spindle or a lathe? Because I don't understand.

I am making both as I need lower revs (max 5000rpm) for milling steel, and my lathe could also use a new spindle. The only difference is that the milling head use mtb and the lathe will use morse taper A.
    The reason I go for morse taper, is that it is the cheapest way to have a toolholder (I dont need atc).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeedd View Post
    I am making both as I need lower revs (max 5000rpm) for milling steel, and my lathe could also use a new spindle. The only difference is that the milling head use mtb and the lathe will use morse taper A.
    The reason I go for morse taper, is that it is the cheapest way to have a toolholder (I dont need atc).
    Morse taper gets old fast, build a collet spindle, choose a collet and go with it
    Mactec54

An ER-collet is not indexable, and morse is the cheapest toolholder I know of..

Here is the adapter I will use. It has a m12 in the rear end, and the drawbar for mk2B is 10mm, so need a little creativity :-)
    The bearings is on order, and I will post more as items arrive.

Here is the adapter I will use. It has a m12 in the rear end, and the drawbar for mk2B is 10mm, so need a little creativity :-)
    The bearings is on order, and I will post more as items arrive.
    That's an R8 and is nothing like a Morse taper, standard for a lot of basic mills for a lathe a 5c collet is better
    Mactec54

Dear Mactec, please note I write it is an R8 to mk2b adapter, it even says so on the label in the picture. The r8 will be where the bearing goes... and then I will use the mk2 in the other end to mount ... mk2 toolholders :-)
    I might or might not use the hollow M12 bolt in conjunction with the drawbar mechanism..
    This is all about beeing cheap, and satisfy my needs for a cheap toolholder. The total cost for the spindle with bearings and drawbar should be less than 50 usd..

Dear Mactec, please note I write it is an R8 to mk2b adapter, it even says so on the label in the picture. The r8 will be where the bearing goes... and then I will use the mk2 in the other end to mount ... mk2 toolholders :-)
    I might or might not use the hollow M12 bolt in conjunction with the drawbar mechanism..
    This is all about beeing cheap, and satisfy my needs for a cheap toolholder. The total cost for the spindle with bearings and drawbar should be less than 50 usd..
    So what are you trying to achieve by doing this there is no point to use a Morse taper if you have the R8 spindle you end up with too much stick out, ok for drills but very limited, but not much else
    Mactec54

I do not have an R8 spindle, please read my text, Mac.. I am building a spindle with this adapter, and have choosen morse taper as toolholder, due to the low price. I know many better toolholder options, as the NT30 and so on, but the price is very high.
    You are very right about the "stick out" and I am working on a design where the bearings is placed as close to the end with the morse taper.
    I will post a drawing shortly, to avoid further misunderstandings :-)

I do not have an R8 spindle, please read my text, Mac.. I am building a spindle with this adapter, and have choosen morse taper as toolholder, due to the low price. I know many better toolholder options, as the NT30 and so on, but the price is very high.
    You are very right about the "stick out" and I am working on a design where the bearings is placed as close to the end with the morse taper.
    I will post a drawing shortly, to avoid further misunderstandings :-)
    Yes I can see what you are trying to do now it still is not a good way to build a cheap spindle this is better for a simple cheap spindle and at a cheaper cost
    Mactec54

Yes, nice linear shaft, but not an indexable toolholder really?
    Mine is more lathe-work, but keyway is premade, and needed as it is geared 1:10 from high speed 500w, also very cheap and aircooled DC- motor :-)
    I would be very happy if you know how to balance the unit :-)

Indexable means that I just jam this in the spindle taper, when I need an ER32 toolholder, so I dont have to zero my tool more than the first time I use it :-)
    For the milling head, it is mt2b, and for the lathe maybe mt2a, but the mill need the drawbar, and I will show later, but now it is time to wait, for the items to arrive....
    Please note the price is 6usd, plus 8usd in transport...
    Nasty, but cheap, aint it :-)

Or theese toolholders, and there are many on the net, for a couple of dollars, and they will all fit very snug in my spindle, made from a modified r8 to mt2b adapter :-)

Or theese toolholders, and there are many on the net, for a couple of dollars, and they will all fit very snug in my spindle, made from a modified r8 to mt2b adapter :-)
    And vibrate like hell, stick out to far to be able to take a decent cut, but you only have a 500w motor so will be only taking light cuts anyway

Not sure what you mean by indexing, you can't get any better than an ER with a solid collet for repeatability
    Mactec54

I want repeatability, also when I change my tools, thats why I will use a toolholder system.
    As I use cheap chineese clones, I will have to modify all components to suit, as nothing is free. After fixing the linear guides, Im working on the ballscrews now, and It is a lot of work, but a part of the game when you take the cheap route.
    I also need to make a system for balancing the spindle and mounted toolholders, so will have a lot of fun the next couple of years to come :-)

I want repeatability, also when I change my tools, thats why I will use a toolholder system.
    As I use cheap chineese clones, I will have to modify all components to suit, as nothing is free. After fixing the linear guides, Im working on the ballscrews now, and It is a lot of work, but a part of the game when you take the cheap route.
    I also need to make a system for balancing the spindle and mounted toolholders, so will have a lot of fun the next couple of years to come :-)
    Repeatability you can achieve that with any system you want to use you just have to get creative good luck with what you are trying to do look forward to see your progress
    Mactec54

I think the taper roller bearings 320/22x from SKF is fine, as max speed is aprox 15krev/min and rollers are very strong, what is needed in this tiny diameter spindle.
    I have to admit, i doubt the project, and allready bought a mk3 spindle, as the mk2 is quite small, but will give it a try anyway as it is cheap.
    Please be patient, as the Corona, mainly target the mailmen, as I understand..I think they have to walk from China, as 60-90 days delivery time now happens...
    Good day to all of you lovely folks :-)

I think the taper roller bearings 320/22x from SKF is fine, as max speed is aprox 15krev/min and rollers are very strong, what is needed in this tiny diameter spindle.
    I have to admit, i doubt the project, and allready bought a mk3 spindle, as the mk2 is quite small, but will give it a try anyway as it is cheap.
    Please be patient, as the Corona, mainly target the mailmen, as I understand..I think they have to walk from China, as 60-90 days delivery time now happens...
    Good day to all of you lovely folks :-)
    Here is a Spindle I just built and is working great I made 2 at the same time one has a 30Taper and the other has a 40Taper this is using taper roller bearings which has very high load rating, I will post other photos latter as they would not load in this post
    Mactec54

It looks super Mactec, and I would love a 30T but my tools are not up to that for now.
    I have read your build tread for the ER spindle build, and you make very fine work :-)

Page 1 of 2 12