584,874 active members*
5,504 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fowler DTI

Fowler DTI

Please excuse the CNC but not specifically Tormach related question.

I use a Fowler 25mm X-TEST Test Indicator 52-562-007-0 to zero my Tormach on a round feature. The pivoting shank is great to set the indicator to sweep the right size circle.

My problem is that the screw that holds the dial to the case has come loose and blocks the hand. How do I remove the crystal? I hate to destroy an otherwise good indicator by doing the wrong thing!

Re: Fowler DTI

Some of them use a split ring under the metal crystal rim, its in essence a one way fastener, can be pushed on then the steel split ring contracts into the body partially, this affixes the two parts together but allows them to rotate, I had the problem with a cheapie indicator. I never figured a way to get it apart without destroying it.......

maybe drill a small hole over the screw thru the hopefully plastic crystal, tighten the screw, repair the hole with a drop of epoxy or something similar??
    mike sr

Uhmm, I found a video but I suspect a Fowler has a different quality level so it may not be relevant. Nevertheless interesting if you can understand the accent
    Removal of the dial starts at 11:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYxYOjArM3w

Good luck
    Step

My Tesa ones need a crystal remover so I made a simple version by making a cup with an o-ring the same diameter as the outside of the crystal and a small spigot that fits the hose of a small hand vacuum pump for bleeding brakes that I had lying around.A few pumps of vacuum and the crystal comes out and goes back in quite easily on my ones.

Thanks for the suggestions and private emails. It turns out my Fowler is similar to an Interapid and the bezel unscrews. There are two holes in the back and with a pointed object in one of the holes one can unscrew the bezel (RH threads). The bad news is that even with the screw re-inserted operation is still not smooth. It looks like ~$150 of lubricant is required!