584,826 active members*
5,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Huanyang VFD - is it normal to have +24 from "FOR" pin against "DCM" pin?

Huanyang VFD - is it normal to have +24 from "FOR" pin against "DCM" pin?

Hi All,

I'm having major problems trying to get my new AXBB-E controller to run the spindle. My router was working fine with a chinese controller (the MK4-V from cdxhctech) but I need to use probing g-codes which that controller doesn't support, so I'm trying to upgrade the controller to the CNCDrive AXBB-E, and it's not going well. I read as much as I could find and thought I had it hooked up to work - the same as the authors conclusion in this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...nyang-vfd.html

But the spindle will only turn on to about 100rpm or so, and the controller analogue voltage won't go over 3.8v (I have removed the jumper to set it to 10V range), while the inverter is looking for 10V

I started checking voltages everywhere and got a shock (not literally) when I found +24V on the controller forward output control pin - so I unplugged everything and checked the voltage on the Inverter - see pic below - surely that's not normal?
    I think that 24V on the inverter forward input has damaged my controller board, the controller output pin that I had originally connected to the inverter forward input to no longer works.
    Attachment 449730
    Thoughts anyone - is this normal, or perhaps I did something bad while rewiring for the new controller and now my inverter is busted - and maybe my controller too?

thanks
    Kevin.

Re: Huanyang VFD - is it normal to have +24 from "FOR" pin against "DCM" pin?

Quote Originally Posted by n0f8r View Post
    Hi All,

I'm having major problems trying to get my new AXBB-E controller to run the spindle. My router was working fine with a chinese controller (the MK4-V from cdxhctech) but I need to use probing g-codes which that controller doesn't support, so I'm trying to upgrade the controller to the CNCDrive AXBB-E, and it's not going well. I read as much as I could find and thought I had it hooked up to work - the same as the authors conclusion in this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...nyang-vfd.html

But the spindle will only turn on to about 100rpm or so, and the controller analogue voltage won't go over 3.8v (I have removed the jumper to set it to 10V range), while the inverter is looking for 10V

I started checking voltages everywhere and got a shock (not literally) when I found +24V on the controller forward output control pin - so I unplugged everything and checked the voltage on the Inverter - see pic below - surely that's not normal?
    I think that 24V on the inverter forward input has damaged my controller board, the controller output pin that I had originally connected to the inverter forward input to no longer works.
    Attachment 449730
    Thoughts anyone - is this normal, or perhaps I did something bad while rewiring for the new controller and now my inverter is busted - and maybe my controller too?

thanks
    Kevin.
    How are you trying to control the On / Off that can be normal to have 24v to switch FOR and DCM, 24v is an industry standard for these type of controls

You have to get the PWM analog 0-10v working from your control before connecting it to the VFD Drive

If you have only got 100RPM then your Parameter's in the VFD Drive have not been set correct
    Mactec54

@Matec54 But the forward pin is an input - so to my mind it should not have 24v on it with nothing plugged in -

Pretty sure the VFD parameters are correct. As I mentioned - it was already working on the other controller - also as I mentioned - the new controller analogue output is not going beyond 3.8V so that's more likely the issue on the low RPM front.

What I'm trying to understand - and perhaps look at the image and read my issue description again - nothing is plugged into the VFD input pins, only the power under the control pins is plugged in - and in that state - with nothing connected, the FOR pin is reading 24V.

What that suggests to me, together with the fact that the first output pin on the new controller I had connected to FOR is no longer working - is that somehow I have broken my inverter, and it's also damaging my new controller when I hook it up.

But I don't know - which is why I'm here....

The PLC (I/O) on the Huanyang is typical of most VFD's where the input is a 'Sinking input' which means the PLC 'Sources' the 24v.
    What you are reading when testing with nothing connected, is the 24v appearing on the output pin through the opto-isolator input.
    To input the signal you take this 24v source through the opto down to DCM (common).
    This makes the (internal) opto conduct.
    The JPG shows an interface when using a G540 instead of a relay contact, also the 24vdc is supplied internally.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HUANYANG4.jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

@Al_The_Man, thanks - that's very helpful. I'm getting closer to understanding now - so the controller output that's hooked up to FOR is supposed to pull to ground when active - and float when off?

So hopefully all I need to do is figure out why my AXBB is not putting out 10V - and if I can't figure that out maybe I can just reprogram the VFD for 5V analog input - since with some more fiddling in Mach3 I can now read up to 4.8v on that pin. And the mystery of the one broken output can remain a mystery...

@Al_The_Man, thanks - so the controller output that's hooked up to FOR is supposed to pull to ground when active - and float when off?
    Correct.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

@Matec54 But the forward pin is an input - so to my mind it should not have 24v on it with nothing plugged in -

Pretty sure the VFD parameters are correct. As I mentioned - it was already working on the other controller - also as I mentioned - the new controller analogue output is not going beyond 3.8V so that's more likely the issue on the low RPM front.

What I'm trying to understand - and perhaps look at the image and read my issue description again - nothing is plugged into the VFD input pins, only the power under the control pins is plugged in - and in that state - with nothing connected, the FOR pin is reading 24V.

What that suggests to me, together with the fact that the first output pin on the new controller I had connected to FOR is no longer working - is that somehow I have broken my inverter, and it's also damaging my new controller when I hook it up.

But I don't know - which is why I'm here....
    If you are running a highspeed spindle then there is a minimum Parameter setting that needs to be set to protect the spindle if this is set correct then it will not be able to run at 100 RPM

Al has already answered why you see the 24v, you just have to see if your control can switch it correctly, this is not a safe way to control an On / Off of a VFD Drive but a lot do it this way because of convenience instead of adding a Relay
    Mactec54

@Al_The_Man, thanks - that's very helpful. I'm getting closer to understanding now - so the controller output that's hooked up to FOR is supposed to pull to ground when active - and float when off?

So hopefully all I need to do is figure out why my AXBB is not putting out 10V - and if I can't figure that out maybe I can just reprogram the VFD for 5V analog input - since with some more fiddling in Mach3 I can now read up to 4.8v on that pin. And the mystery of the one broken output can remain a mystery...
    Yes you can use the 0-5v control in your VFD to control the speed inMach3 you want the PWM set to 100
    Mactec54