Hopefully this is the right forum for this request.

A few months ago I purchased one of the Chinese CNC3018 routers. I have had some success with cutting and engraving but not getting the end result that I wanted. That’s okay, it will come as I gain more experience and understanding of various settings.

I have bought a laser attachment for it and am now completely out of my depth. I need guidance on some basic things as follows:

1. When using a laser, how do I position it at the origin position on the work piece? When using a conventional cutter I can easily position it to the origin as I can see the cutter bit but of course, with the laser I cannot see that unless it is turned on.

2. On many websites people mention setting the power of the laser to various strengths. How do I adjust the power?

3. I can generate toolpaths for cutting on Fusion 360 but how do I generate toolpaths for engraving letters using a laser?

4. When selecting the geometry for the toolpaths, do I select the top surface outline of the letter or the lower, (recessed), outline?

I use Fusion 360 for my design although most of what I’m fabricating are from other people’s work and files are only available in the .f3d format. I use the GRBL post processor in Fusion and UGS to send code to the router. The control board on the router is a Woodpecker V3.3. I have no limit switches on the router.

Hope someone can give my guidance on the above, this is really a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

Graeme