584,817 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrading an aging machine

I have an old Kern Laser with a ULS 50w cart. The machine works ok but the controller and software are quite old. The KCAM is on a 98 box and the interface is an ISA card so I'm rather stuck using anything newer.
    I was wondering if anyone had undertaken a similar project to convert one of these aging machines to run off a newer controller that would allow use of LaserCAD or LightBurn or something. It would be nice to be able to get a few more software related features out of the system.

If not, is there something relatively inexpensive that I could get as a new table that would accept a ULS 50 cart? The cart was recharged not long ago and is in good shape. If there's some 'bed with a controller' that has the capability to plug in a ULS cartridge that might be the way to go.
    Thanks!

Re: Upgrading an aging machine

Quote Originally Posted by thelanranger View Post
    I have an old Kern Laser with a ULS 50w cart. The machine works ok but the controller and software are quite old. The KCAM is on a 98 box and the interface is an ISA card so I'm rather stuck using anything newer.
    I was wondering if anyone had undertaken a similar project to convert one of these aging machines to run off a newer controller that would allow use of LaserCAD or LightBurn or something. It would be nice to be able to get a few more software related features out of the system.

If not, is there something relatively inexpensive that I could get as a new table that would accept a ULS 50 cart? The cart was recharged not long ago and is in good shape. If there's some 'bed with a controller' that has the capability to plug in a ULS cartridge that might be the way to go.
    Thanks!
    With the rock solid chassis and good motors on your machine, it is better to upgrade because most of the "affordable" machines out there are much lighter weight and less accurate. So, the key for the upgrade is to match the motor drives to the new controller, then the limit switches will also get done. We have done a few upgrades, though each machine is a bit different.

If you do take the ULS to another machine, just make sure the controller is putting out the tickle pulse as specified in the OEM user manual for your laser, otherwise the tube will not operate nearly as well and will likely fail prematurely.