584,837 active members*
5,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G-Code Transfer

Currently with our Microedge Pro we load our G-Code onto a USB and then we have to walk out into the factory and down load to The Microedge. We would like to put in a cable from our drawing office PC Windows 10 to the Microedge, Could you please tell me how we go about this and what hardware I would need to purchase.

Re: G-Code Transfer

We did this some years ago on an older PC, and we used COM1 ports to send over a 4 wire cable dragged through the roof, from PC to miller. If your PC is more modern (likely) and has no COM1 port then I have no solution. If your PCs/machines can have plugin COM1 cards then go that route. The wires get twisted as SEND->RECEIVE, and I use a COM1 plugin monitor with lights to see when wires were active. Lots of fiddling as I am no expert, but it *did* work in the end, and kept working. To send the target machine is put into receive and then the other sends by starting the handshake, when complete stop the sending machine, stop the target machine receive. It is all old-world DOS type interaction.
    If you have no ability to support COM1 then I have no solution, sorry.

I looked into this when working in industry some years ago. An ethernet connection was part of the mix, but I believe there was a software component as well. A commercial application. A google search for DNC for CNC should find some of that.

Hello,

Depending on the connection available at the equipment, we can connect and transfer G code programs using software like Predator DNC, and RS232 Serial Grizzly Cable. If the machine has ethernet port, we can look into using this option as well to transfer the file. The software can also allow the operator to "pull" the file from the main computer that hosts the G code programs so you don't have to walk back and forth. Give us a call.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Do an internet search for Easy DNC or DNC REMO. Software is reasonably priced (I think I paid about $200 a few years back). It runs on the windows 10 platform. The software works great and also has the option for letting an operator at the machine remote request programs from the PC. They supply wiring diagrams for most machine applications. They also have a great forum for getting questions answered. I researched a lot of software prior to purchasing the DNCRemo. This was my best option by a long shot as I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars to transfer a program.. Hope this helps you. Gunner.
    Gunner