584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Size of image-object cut too small using Inkscape, Makercam then Mach 3

Size of image-object cut too small using Inkscape, Makercam then Mach 3

I'm a new cnc router hobbyist trying to learn how to run my diy cnc router with Mach3 cnc program , Inkscape cad and Makercam cam program.
    I have an issue with sizing, I use mostly clip art images in Inkscape to make svg files, Makercam to generate g-code then I load g-code into Mach 3 program to run my diy cnc router. I use very simple clip art to learn from.
    I have a problem with sizing, I use inch measurements with all my programs, when I create svg image in Inkscape to a specific size then import the image into Makercam to generate g-code, then I run the g-code with Mach 3 router, the size of the image that is cut is way smaller than I originality created in Inkscape.

The last image I made from web clip art site was 555px x 493px, Loaded that image into Inkscape to create an svg image with a size of 6 in. x 5 in.
    Then I imported the svg file into Makercam, the image size on the Makercam grid was 5.25 in. x 6.125.
    I then cut the image with my cnc router and the resulting image size was 1.25 in. x 1.125 in.

Makercam grid scale is set to inches, Inkscape scale is set to inches Mach 3 is set to inches. and the clip art is a jpeg image in pixles.
    I would buy a cad/cam program if I could afford it, but, the cost of Mach 3 did me in.

I would appreciate any comments with a possible solution to my problem.

Re: Size of image-object cut too small using Inkscape, Makercam then Mach 3

Have you tried increasing the size of the image by a factor of 5?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I have to congratulate the OP on getting any kind of program out of Inkscape,I have tried a few times and failed.For creating images I suggest taking a look at F-engrave its free and works for me on my homebrew machine.You get to specify the size you would like the finished item to be from any .bmp image.

I second the F-Engrave suggestion. Well done.

One possibility is that somewhere one of your programs is getting DPI involved. I doubt it's mm and Inches as the difference would 25.4 to 1. But why worry about it. Just apply a correction factor and move on.

Drawing a 1" square in inkscape and bringing it into makercam creates a trace tool path as shown below
    Code:
    (Generated by PartKam Version 0.05)
    G20 G90 G40
    (follow path 1)
    G0 Z0.5
    T0 M6
    G17
    M3
    G0 X0 Y1
    G1 Z-0.75 F30
    G1 X1 Y1 F60
    G1 X1 Y0
    G1 X0 Y0
    G1 X0 Y1
    G0 Z0.5
    M5
    M30
    So the scale in this example matches the svg.
    If the first line of your output also reads 'PartKam version 0.05' we are probably talking about the same software.
    I would gladly test your svg but with only 1 post you may not be allowed to upload.

btw: it's true inkscape isn't exactly intuitive, my copy of 'The Book of Inkscape' has many bookmarks. On the other hand it's the best free vector graphic software I've tried. The included Gcodetools inkscape extension is a real mess.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

My previous response doesn't offer much help beyond 'it works for me'. The problem is it's hard to guess why it doesn't work for you.
    Tell me where to find the clip art and I'm willing to try. It's possible Makercam has some quirks.
    I agree F-engrave is a great bit of software. Imo everything from Scorchworks is a gem. Inkscape is an editor and F-engrave is a gcode generator so comparing them is a bit apples and oranges, they do different things. My sign projects often use both.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Have you tried increasing the size of the image by a factor of 5?
    Thank you for your reply,
    I"m not sure where to increase the size by a factor for 5, which program? Makercam?

Thanks Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JONLE View Post
    I"m not sure where to increase the size by a factor for 5, which program? Makercam?

Thanks Jon
    Probably anywhere in the chain of operations would work; just try it and see. I haven't tried this particular workflow myself, so I can't offer specific advice about any of these programs. But if you see unwanted discontinuities in the edges, it might be due to pixelation being too coarse, in which case you can try increasing the pixel count of your graphic image.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Sometimes workarounds are necessary but only when it's proven things don't work as intended. Below 2 files are attached.
    The svg measures 5" x 10 "
    The gcode output of that svg from Makercam is also 5" x 10". A 'follow path operation' was used

**the line width of the svg is zero. If opening in inkscape select all (ctrl + A) and assign a stroke wdith to make it visible.
    **set the Makercam preferences to 90 pixels/inch
    **both files have .txt file extension to get past this forums upload restrictions

I though that each program I use in the process of generating g-code when the increments are set to inches would be constantly carried forward to the next part of the process. I converted pixel to inches but that did not help to correct the finished object size.
    I can scale the object in Makercam by percentage but the object is not the size I need when I cut it.
    I'll try again ( trial and error ), will take me lost of time.
    I have six other reply's to answer, so I may not respond for a while.

Thank you
    Jon

I have six reply's to answer to, so i may not post a reply with my results for a while, I used a simple clip art of a butter fly from: Bing.com/images,
    Images of Butterfly Clipatr Black and White.

Thank you

Jon

I have six other reply s to my question, so it will take me a little time to respond back to you with my results. I will load the g-code files into My Mach 3 and run to see what happens.

Thank you

Jon

Thank you for your input, will try a scale % in Makercam and check F-Engrave.

Jon

Thank you for your reply, going to look at F-Engrave,

Jon

Thank you for the input, I discovered that I needed to re-calibrate my axis steps per unit in Mach 3, problem solved. I looked at F-Engrave, going to try it. Again Thanks for the reply.

Jon

Thank you for the reply. I loaded 5" X 10" , file, ran a test cut and it was really small, my dros showed the correct measurements, got me to thinking about possible lead screw-motor problem. I re-calibrated my X-Y-Z axis steps per unit three times with different distances, problem solved.
    I may not have discovered the problem with out your input.

Thanks

Jon

Thank you again for the input, Discovered that I needed to re-calibrate my axis steps per unit. Size issue solved.

Thank you again

Jon

Thank you for your input, discovered that I needed to re-calibrate my axis steps per unit, problem solved.
    I looked at F-Engrave and I'm going to try it.

Thanks

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JONLE View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I loaded 5" X 10" , file, ran a test cut and it was really small, my dros showed the correct measurements, got me to thinking about possible lead screw-motor problem. I re-calibrated my X-Y-Z axis steps per unit three times with different distances, problem solved.
    I may not have discovered the problem with out your input.
    oops I named that file wrong.
    5" x 10" should have been named 10" x 5"
    10x, 5y
    I think you figured that out