584,829 active members*
5,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > Newbie looking for opinion on locally manufactured CNC router machine

Question Newbie looking for opinion on locally manufactured CNC router machine

Hi everyone,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker new to the world of CNC. I have a small workshop in my garage and I'm looking to purchase a benchtop CNC router with a bed size up to 600x1200mm or 2x4ft. I'm familiar with fusion 360. I hope to find a machine that will cut/route hardwood timber up to 25mm / 1" thick, plywood, thin wood veneers, acrylic and perhaps some aluminum. I don't require production speeds as I'm just a hobbyist/ small time maker but I would like something capable within it's category.

I live in New Zealand so my options are limited. Importing is an option but I would imagine shipping isn't cheap and all imports are subject to a 15% goods and service tax applied to the cost of the machine, shipping and insurance.

With that being said I've only found a couple options available locally (in New Zealand)

Option 1, shapeoko xxl https://www.mindkits.co.nz/shapeoko-xxl.aspx which is $3,329 NZD or $2,200 USD

Option 2, The other is made by a local manufacturer Vertigo https://vertigocnc.com/products/mx2-cnc-machine The model I'm looking at sells for $6,785NZD or $4,490 USD

Vertigo MX2-N Spec sheet https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...f?v=1596084474

I guess my questions are as follows:

How do the capabilities and build quality of the two machines compare?

How capable are either of them at meeting my performance requirements?

lastly should I consider importing A better machine from overseas? What would you recommend? My top end budget limit is $6000USD including shipping/tax

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post.
    Last edited by KiwiCNCNZ; 10-09-2020 at 08:52 AM. Reason: clarity/spelling

Re: Newbie looking for opinion on locally manufactured CNC router machine

Hello KiwiCNCNZ,
    I suggest you consider foreign machines. This is the advantage of some foreign engraving machines.
    With the globalization of technology and the economy, the Internet age has caused tremendous changes in information dissemination and communication. Especially in China, smart manufacturing can meet your requirements. You can buy CNC machine tools with the same configuration in your country/region at a very low price from China.

Actually, you may be wondering, if I buy locally, I will get good service and support for CNC machine tools. I have to say that manufacturers will not provide comprehensive services to distributors. Distributors usually provide services and support themselves. What service and support is there? You can conduct an on-site investigation yourself.

On the contrary, manufacturers from China will sell CNC machines with 24/7 service and support (online service, remote service, telephone support), door-to-door training and installation, and you can get full service from Chinese CNC machine manufacturers. Of course, many trading companies do not have any after-sales service and support. Therefore, when purchasing CNC machine tools, you should ensure that you can obtain comprehensive services from the seller.

Jinan FORSUN CNC Machinery Co., Ltd.,one of the professional Wood CNC Router manufacturers and suppliers in China, has been focusing on providing high-quality CNC Router Machines and solutions for worldwide customers for 20 years.