586,005 active members*
5,075 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone ever seen a R8 collet ground this way?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Anyone ever seen a R8 collet ground this way?

At the risk of irritating MotoTech further. The collet you are discussing looks very similar to the Lyndex I have, including the the brass deposit on the side of the slot and the brass coloured end face. Lyndex describe their collets having a' Hardened threaded bushing in the back for long life'. Could this be brazed in and any braze that crepted down the slot, machined afterwards?
    Vertex, I believe are better produces then the cheaper Chinese tools. I would hope the quality of their collet is better than the one you have.
    I do have some 5C Vertex collets but have not checked how accurate they are. Good luck!

Turbo - how much did you pay for that collet ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
    At the risk of irritating MotoTech further. The collet you are discussing looks very similar to the Lyndex I have, including the the brass deposit on the side of the slot and the brass coloured end face. Lyndex describe their collets having a' Hardened threaded bushing in the back for long life'. Could this be brazed in and any braze that crepted down the slot, machined afterwards?
    Vertex, I believe are better produces then the cheaper Chinese tools. I would hope the quality of their collet is better than the one you have.
    I do have some 5C Vertex collets but have not checked how accurate they are. Good luck!
    Hi John, that's very interesting. That would certainly explain away the brass coloured cap. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    Turbo - how much did you pay for that collet ?
    Not enough to break the bank! The money doesn't concern me. For the record the collet itself cost around $27, more than twice the price of their "standard quality" version. Shipping was half as much again. As you mentioned before it's most likely perfectly ok technically. On the other hand I could just bin it and forget it at this price. I was just really annoyed with the "apparent" poor quality and used look. I can't imagine how a new collet would leave the factory looking like this. My $3.50 collet looks much better, it's unusable, but it looks better!
    I've just received a box of stuff from a different UK supplier today, most if not all are Chinese products, but there's absolutely no comparison - at least not on initial inspection. Unfortunately they didn't stock 20mm R8 collets.
    Step

So what you are saying is that you have zero qualitative basis for your complaint and you are willing to talk about it. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    So what you are saying is that you have zero qualitative basis for your complaint and you are willing to talk about it. Good work.
    What's your problem?
    Step

I actually meant to say “quantitive” instead of qualitative.

I do apologize though. I work in health and safety at my day job and sleep has been at a premium. My temperament is certainly sacrificed and my attitude here is in the wrong. My apologies. Good luck getting your collet situation resolved. I wish you the best.

..iso9001

Page 2 of 2 12