585,954 active members*
4,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15 Coms "Time out error" resolved.

LB15 Coms "Time out error" resolved.

LB-15 with OSP 5000 L-G control.

Some time ago I started having issues with sending programs to my LB15 to this day I don't know what the cause of this was, one day it started. I could receive fine but not send. When I hit the write button on the OSP the program would start to transfer from PC to OSP but at the end the OSP would just hang then after 30 seconds give a "Time out error" and the program send would fail.

I was advised that perhaps the R232 board was bad so I grabbed a couple of spare used boards that I was assured were ok, I also swapped one from my other Okuma. They all performed the same way ie PC can receive but not send to OSP.

Anyway I recently solved or should I say resolved the issue and I can now send from PC to the machine this is what I did.

1. I found an old 32 Bit PC in the junk and rebuilt it and loaded it with a fresh install of windows XP.
    2. Installed NCLINK coms software.
    3. Used the a serial cable wired like thisAttachment 500866
    4. I set the machine parameters like this Attachment 500868
    5. The setting I used for sending and receiving in NCLINK look like this Attachment 500872

After completing all the above I was still having "time out error" Attachment 500874
    when sending from PC to OSP. Then I recalled seeing a % symbol used at the end of some of my previous programs. So I experimented by added the % symbol to the last line of the test program and now I can send programs fine, no more time out errors! I will add here on this machine I have never before had to add the % symbol to send but I can live with having to from now!

To send from PC to OSP. On the PC I send the program, it hangs waiting for the machine. Then on the OSP, PRESS PIP> PRESS READ> then type "CN0:" > PRESS WRITE. Program starts to transfer.

To receive from OSP to PC. One the PC I PRESS the receive button. PC hangs, waiting for the machine. On the OSP PRESS PIP> PRESS PUNCH> then type "NAME.MIN,CN0:" PRESS WRITE. Program starts to transfer.

There would be Okuma experts out there that would be able to pin point exactly what my issue was.

Lastly I thought is would be helpful to share this info and put it out into the ether as Im sure others will someday use it. I personally don't like it when folks post issues seeking help, only to never here from them again or how their issues were resolved. The solution is more important than the issue, at least for me it is.

Cheers Paul.

Re: LB15 Coms "Time out error" resolved.

I will add here that at one time all my Okumas used to run flat all day 7 days a week, heavy production machines, cutting mainly 4140, deep cuts pushed them hard! They inevitably would break down and we would fix them or have them fixed without delay.

These days I just have the LB15 and LS30-N. I use them lightly and mainly for my own entertainment. They are rarely both running at the same time due to faults that I'm not in any hurry to fix. But today is a rare day where all my CNC machines are working!

Lastly I have considered retro fitting my Okuma lathes, but each time I end up repairing them, because the Okuma system is so good and the effort to retro fit vs repair existing is a no brainer. IMO.

Re: LB15 Coms "Time out error" resolved.

The % at the end of the first line indicates the end of the file open and naming function, a % only allows the control to open an A.MIN file, ready to accept the code following

The final % indicates to the control the end of code AND to close the file AND terminate the READ or PUNCH function.