584,837 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > The machine stops periodically without an error message.
Page 1 of 2 12

The machine stops periodically without an error message.

Hello everyone!
    In the spring, I bought a CNC USB controller Mk3/4 (4 axis). Everything worked perfectly for six months! Then the problems started.
    Very rarely - once a week, then once a day during the program, the machine stopped moving and turned off the spindle. The cooling was not turned off. There are no error messages.
    It was possible to start execution first or from a specific code location and there were no more stops. The situation could be repeated 5 times an hour, and then work for a week without such stops.
    Over the past three months, the situation has gradually worsened.

Today, the machine stopped each time at about the same place at the beginning of the program. Manual control works, MDI commands are executed. There are no errors in the logs.
    Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: The machine stops periodically without an error message.

Do you need to reconnect the controller when this happens?
    Could you try repeating this without using your spindle turned on? you would do it on safe height (air cut)...
    It is possible that EMI is to blame..

No, I don't need to reconnect the controller. I can run the program again from the beginning or from any line.
    The machine can work normally for a week or stop 5 times an hour.
    Do you believe this is EMI ? ))) okay, I'll run the test without turning on the spindle.
    In any case I want to see the error message to understand what is happening...
    (I have conducted a full EMI protection procedure...https://www.cnczone.com/forums/plane...00650-cnc.html)

I checked the operation of the machine without turning on the spindle. At first, the machine stopped at the very beginning 5% of the code.
    The second time passed 100% of the code. During this time, I turned the spindle on and off manually 10 times, the machine did not stop.
    The machine stopped many times in different places last day, it's better today!!!

Conclusion - the problem is not in the spindle.
    Any ideas other than replacing the cable and computer?
    What can be configured incorrectly in the program?
    (I can give you remote access to the machine's computer).

When machine stops - is it in EStop?

No, it's not ESTOP!
    When "emergency stop" is triggered, the spindle and cooling are turned off, movement stops and "Estop" indicator (ES) lights up.

My machine just stop - stops the movement and turns off the spindle. But cooling does not turn off.
    "Estop" indicator (ES) not light up.

I can start the program again by clicking the start button (or select any line of code and run it from the specified position).
    The machine turn on a spindle and moves according to the program.
    Today the machine stopped 3 times in 6 hours of operation.
    What will happen tomorrow? (((

Export your profile and send me zip file. Also send me g-code that you use.
    To our support email.
    I'll try to replicate problem.

Does machine stop in middle of g-code line or between two lines?
    Does machine decelerate to stop or stop is sudden?
    Is there something special about lines where machine stops or are they normal move lines?

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    Does machine stop in middle of g-code line or between two lines?
    Does machine decelerate to stop or stop is sudden?
    Is there something special about lines where machine stops or are they normal move lines?
    I cannot understand - the steps of the program very small movements.
    I make 3D shapes, they are slightly different. These are ordinary lines. Processing speed up to 6000 mm / min
    The mashine stops suddenly. Yesterday it was 6 times in 8 hours. Today there were 5 stops in different places in 10 minutes while executing ONE code.

Maybe these stops are related to the emptying of the controller command buffer?

You have updated to the most recent version? There was some sort of buffering bug that was fixed about 2-3 months ago and this sounds a little like that problem. There is a thread somewhere here that discusses it. It seemd to mostly only affect really long gcode programs.

Hello, theRat, thank you!

Yes, the latest version of the program is installed.
    I don't think my code is very large - about 25,000 lines and no more than 1 MB in size
    If this is a buffering issue, I want to see an error message anyway!

I don't have any more ideas. I will change the PC and power supplies.
    I can replace the controller or put a program to monitoring of usb port and see what happens there... but it takes time and I don't have it!

(I'm sorry, there is another machine nearby that works non-stop for 2 years. LinuxCNC, LPT port, low-cost old PC, low-cost motors and drivers TB6600...
    I assembled an expensive machine with feedback motors, with good hardware and software and... And I have machine stops several times a day!)

Quote Originally Posted by basilevscom View Post
    Hello everyone!
    In the spring, I bought a CNC USB controller Mk3/4 (4 axis). Everything worked perfectly for six months! Then the problems started.
    Very rarely - once a week, then once a day during the program.
    Any ideas? Thanks!
    ...this sounds like a loose wire somewhere....I would check every wire terminal and also quick plugs for bad connections

Hello, machinehop5, thanks for responding!

I thought about it... I'll check everything again.
    If there is poor contact in the motors connectors, there will be skipped steps and motion disturbance, the same if the contact of the motor power supply connector is poor.
    But the program will not "see" it and will not stop. If we assume a bad connection of the USB connector, then most likely I will receive a message "controller disconnected"
    My machine stops moving and turns off the spindle (and sometimes stops the cooling) is synchronous with stopping the program and I think about some kind of logic error.

Several months of torment passed. Nothing has changed.
    I've replaced everything I can... computer, cables, power supplies, wires, filters...
    The problem has not gone away, the second machine in another place is working non-stop.

I ordered a new controller board.

Did you try what I wrote to your email in October? You did not respond and I thought this was solved.

Disconnect limit, input and output connector and motor error signal. Run with only motors connected, without anything else.

I ran your g-code with your settings in a loop for several days without any issues.

I suspect electrical interference on input pin is stopping program. When NO switches are used you have long wires that are unconnected on one side. They act as antennas. If power cables are next to them they generate voltage. Not much is needed to trigger a signal. That is why optocouplers and higher switch voltage is recommended. This is first thing that needs to be ruled out.

I have not received any letters from you...

I made two identical machines.
    One machine stops and the second machine works without stopping, but it is located in another city and I do not have access to it.

I can try disabling all the sensors and buttons, but I don't think that will help. If the machine is stopped by a sensor or button impulse signal, can I see it in the program logs?
    All sensors and the e-stop button are connected to the controller via optocouplers and via and an inverter with a schmidt trigger.
    This schematics has always worked without problems, for example, for LIMIT1 input.

At this moment you can not see if machine was stopped by signal. I'll add this feature.
    Your schematics looks fine.
    Does machine stop abruptly or it goes to e-stop?
    Please try with everything disconnected.

Thank you, I'll do the test in the next few days.

My machine stop abruptly - stops the movement and turns off the spindle. But cooling does not turn off usually. Sometimes cooling also turned off.
    If I press E-STOP button both the spindle and the cooling are turned off always

Do you need to reconnect controller or it works normally after this event?

No, I no need to reconnect controller.
    I can run the program from any line or send the axes to zeros.
    The program may stop again after a few seconds. I can start it again from any line. And so it goes on.
    Stops can be once a week or several times a minute.

I tested the machine for 3 weeks with "ESTOP" button cable disconnected - there are no stops!
    But this does not mean anything yet - the machine also worked well for several months before.

A big request to the software manufacturers is to make it possible to view the log of events, including the triggering of sensors and the pressing of buttons.
    Then I can understand exactly what the problem is in Estop.

Page 1 of 2 12