584,874 active members*
4,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Too many consecutive non motion blocks error

Too many consecutive non motion blocks error

I have a perplexing issue.

We had a brown out/power surge at our shop about a month ago due to lovely California rolling blackouts. My 4020 was running a DNC program at the time and my other machines were off. The surge fried the serial board in my slave computer and the machine is now throwing a "Too many consecutive non motion blocks" error at random times during long run DNC programs.

That error is usually reserved for 16 lines or more of code with no movement but in this case it's repeating the same movement code causing the error and the machine to stop. (see pic)

I have already replaced the serial board which restored comms with all the machines but the 4020 is the only one throwing the error. I built a new cable thinking it got fried but the problem did not resolve.

My DNC software shows the same string of code so I thought it was damaged. After uninstall, reload, and test the problem was still there. I also swapped the slave with another that we use in our other building but still no resolution.

I found a reference on another forum that said if the post processor was modified so a (note) appeared on every line it would solve the problem but that did not work either.

I'm now thinking that the comm board on the machine was fried too and is sending a bad signal back to the slave when it wants more code.

I can't find any information about this happening to others so I thought I'd throw it out here.

Thordo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201002_135858.jpg  

Re: Too many consecutive non motion blocks error

...this is a wild guess but, may be worth checking. Shut down the machine totally for 10-15mins and check the Backup Battery voltage. I have seen the battery cause comm problems before

Battery is brand new but it was bought on Amazon so it could have been a cheap knockoff... Or the power surge fried it. Will do a voltage test.

THANKS!!

...one other thing you might try because of possible corruption of memory after power failure.
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/Z..._Procedure.pdf
    If you have the DATC type tool changer...Step 3 is a little different before you Zero the Memory

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...this is a wild guess but, may be worth checking. Shut down the machine totally for 10-15mins and check the Backup Battery voltage. I have seen the battery cause comm problems before
    The battery is good 3.2 volts. DANG IT!! Would have been nice to be a $5 fix. Will keep looking.

I forgot that in the OP. Already tried clearing the memory. No dice.

In doing more research. It has a PCB-0363 CPU board that replaced the 1030-1 but it was discontinued by Fadal back in 2008 because it was buggy. It has never been an issue for me until now, if that's actually the problem. The bigger problem is NOBODY has that board. Calmotion says they MIGHT be able to repair my board or I can buy one of their control upgrades for $9K.