584,837 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My solution for the computer switch

I installed an AB selector switch on my 1100 to keep the old guy from turning it off when reaching for the coolant switch! I used the selector as its different than the factory computer or coolant switches, just another level of safety in that regard ha!

I did use my homemade knockout cutter to cut a hole in the panel, I made it back in the 70's because the standard knockout kit coesnt contain one thats the correct size. I now need to come up with a "catchy" name plate for it.

All joking aside, it does work and keeps me from hitting the wrong switch inadvertently.........................
    mike sr

Re: My solution for the computer switch

Just make a label that says "The Correct Switch."
    Or, if you want to pun on the position on the panel, call it "The Right Switch."

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Just make a label that says "The Correct Switch."
    Or, if you want to pun on the position on the panel, call it "The Right Switch."
    It is working out well though.

I was thinking "Catastrophic failure"
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    It is working out well though.

I was thinking "Catastrophic failure"
    After you mentioned this I looked at the power strip I use for PP control, monitor and other stuff. I have it mounted along side of a rolling tool box for easy access. I ended up moving it as high as I could and using the top 2 switched outlets for the PP control and monitor.
    As it was I could easily bump those switches with my knee, vacuum hose or rolling shop chair .And failure would be next
    When you mentioned this I was like I never use those on machine controls so nothing to worry about. Wrong, my setup was ready made for bozo to crash it all.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    After you mentioned this I looked at the power strip I use for PP control, monitor and other stuff. I have it mounted along side of a rolling tool box for easy access. I ended up moving it as high as I could and using the top 2 switched outlets for the PP control and monitor.
    As it was I could easily bump those switches with my knee, vacuum hose or rolling shop chair .And failure would be next
    When you mentioned this I was like I never use those on machine controls so nothing to worry about. Wrong, my setup was ready made for bozo to crash it all.

MD at my age I need as many things bullet proof as I can make them, this is one of the things that was on the list, I have hit the computer switch quite a few times over the years.
    mike sr

The power for my computer is 100% independent from the Tormach's power and it's switch is by itself, not even on the Tormach's control panel. The computer switch on the panel only controls power for the monitor. The supply voltage for the computer is controlled only by the on/off switch on the computer. I made this setup immediately after the first time some idiot shut down the computer while a job was running. That was years ago and no problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    The power for my computer is 100% independent from the Tormach's power and it's switch is by itself, not even on the Tormach's control panel. The computer switch on the panel only controls power for the monitor. The supply voltage for the computer is controlled only by the on/off switch on the computer. I made this setup immediately after the first time some idiot shut down the computer while a job was running. That was years ago and no problems since.

Good to see you back on the forum John!
    When one breaks a leg he gets a crutch ha!! This is kind of the same thing....... also it gave me the chance to use my homemade knockout cutter for an AB switch, I dont remember ever using it until now, I made it over 40 years ago as I figured I would have a use for it eventually........ I will say that it has solved my problem, I often wondered why they put the computer switch in that position on the panel, next to the key switch would have been a better location in my opinion.....
    mike sr

I was thinking more along these lines:

Attachment 451422

Just a quick 3D printed cover hinged at the top (doesn't look too pretty but its just a quick prototype), but then you wouldn't have had an excuse to use your knockout cutter
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post

Just a quick 3D printed cover hinged at the top (doesn't look too pretty but its just a quick prototype), but then you wouldn't have had an excuse to use your knockout cutter
    Step
    Right on Step! I think a better choice would have been to enlarge the hole in the computer switch position and locate it there .
    I think your solution would have looked much nicer and more professional though.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post

Attachment 451422

Step
    Very nice. It has caught me out once. Do you by any chance have the file for it? Please

Mike, yes, it's good to be back. Been uber busy at my diner since we had to sack all ten girls back in march due to the lockdown. Wife and I and three family members trying to pick up the slack and keep the doors open. Just now getting some shop time in. Also loas half my left lung back in September and that's slowed me down more than a little.