584,837 active members*
5,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: VFD or VSD?

VFD or VSD?

hi i have just bought a 5 axis hobbyist cnc and my VFD blew some sort of chip. My sister who is an apprentice electrition told me to get a VSD to replace it. it seems there are more VSD's than VFD's available in NZ. can anyone correct her if she is wrong for assuming a VSD would be a better option? (and also explain why?). this is also my first cnc and one that needs some major work to have it operational again.

Thanks

Re: VFD or VSD?

VSD = Variable Speed Drive??

For a induction motor spindle particularly 3ph, the VFD is about the only option.
    Need more detail as to what you have?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The cnc I've got has a Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled. tell what other info you need. I am eager to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWBIE_101 View Post
    hi i have just bought a 5 axis hobbyist cnc and my VFD blew some sort of chip. My sister who is an apprentice electrition told me to get a VSD to replace it. it seems there are more VSD's than VFD's available in NZ. can anyone correct her if she is wrong for assuming a VSD would be a better option? (and also explain why?). this is also my first cnc and one that needs some major work to have it operational again.

Thanks
    Here we use VFD or AC servo spindle drive, but the AC servo spindle drive need to work with AC servo spindle motor.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

The cnc I've got has a Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled. tell what other info you need. I am eager to learn.
    The H.S. spindle has to be ran on a 3ph VFD, it also has a minimum operating RPM due to its low Inductive reactance at speeds lower than 6krpm. IOW burn out can occur if not observed.
    Al.

Albert E.

You need to use a VFD Drive and around 1 to 2 Hp larger than your spindle rating if you are using single phase power supply, you most likely damaged the original VFD because of wiring or incorrect Parameter setting

Need to know what parameters you set and how you wired it
    Mactec54

what is the abreviation IOW.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You need to use a VFD Drive and around 1 to 2 Hp larger than your spindle rating if you are using single phase power supply, you most likely damaged the original VFD because of wiring or incorrect Parameter setting

Need to know what parameters you set and how you wired it
    is possible that the parameters weren't set right. i bought it second hand the guy i bought it off turned on the spindle when i picked it up. when i went to start it i turned down the rpm (to warm up) like i would on my dads vfds and as soon as i pushd the start button it blew. would not be able to give you the parameter settings as i dont want to plug it back in. can take a photo of wiring tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help guys

IOW = In other words.
    If the parameters were not set right particularly for the H.S. spindle, you can cause damage.
    You cannot operate at low RPM as per post #5
    He may have been using it on a 50/60hz motor.
    Al.

Albert E.

is possible that the parameters weren't set right. i bought it second hand the guy i bought it off turned on the spindle when i picked it up. when i went to start it i turned down the rpm (to warm up) like i would on my dads vfds and as soon as i pushd the start button it blew. would not be able to give you the parameter settings as i dont want to plug it back in. can take a photo of wiring tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help guys
    Are that explains it well, was the VFD just plugged into an outlet or hard wired, with the rest of the machine, single phase or 3 phase input power supply, it would depend also how low the RPM was set also 6,000 RPM is normally the slowest you can run these spindles, there are some but not your model that can run at 3,000 RPM

If it was lower than 6,000 RPM then the Parameters where not set correct, how it is wired will tell a lot also
    Mactec54