584,849 active members*
4,509 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Milli a new composite mill kit
Page 81 of 105 3171798081828391
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 2096

Re: Milli a new composite mill kit

Afternoon all - I'm back on the last round of material testing. ALOX/epoxy, aluminium epoxy and another product. I made the moulds and top cauls today. I decided to make a caul vs just the bag to try to make a better shaped coupon. I can machine the AL to a true size but the ALOX, nope so the caul will keep it as flat as possible. Now to set up the mould parts. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coupons 1.jpg   caul 1.jpg   drilling 1.jpg   zero set.jpg  

Boring - I waxed and sealed the moulds today. Tomorrow will assemble and sort the consumables. Peter

Hi Ard - No its 1-2mm grit used for grit blasting. Unfortunately alot of those papers are done just to publish papers. 3% addition of something that gives results no better than commercial epoxy is pretty pointless. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Ard - No its 1-2mm grit used for grit blasting. Unfortunately alot of those papers are done just to publish papers. 3% addition of something that gives results no better than commercial epoxy is pretty pointless. Peter
    so they purposefully chose a crap epoxy to highlight the gain?...some of the papers reported I think it was 3 times the adhesive strength compared to pure epoxy, think it was at 2%wt can't remember the particle size

Hi Ard - I don't think they purposefully did anything except do something to get a paper out. My std infusion epoxy is about what they achieved. Perhaps the formulator is adding nano particles and not telling me. The highest adhesive shear strength epoxy that I know of is 40Mpa. 30Mpa is typical and I've achieved over 30MPa in tests. Its difficult for me to imagine getting over 100MPa in an adhesive test it would be wonderful as it would replace welding immediately.... Peter

Hi All - Todays job was setting up the test coupons for three different materials. One is alox/epoxy the other steel fibres and epoxy. The third is a combo ceramic powder that I came across. Tonight I vac checked the bag (all good) tomorrow I cast them. Then off to the lab for testing... Then my material research finishes and onto making machine parts. The material stack is a new surfboard fin but I decided not to do it in the same bag... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coupons 1.jpg   coupons 2.jpg   stacks 1.jpg  

Morning all - Fill went well, will release tomorrow morning. Nice low vacuum through the fill <500Pa. All tucked in to keep the exotherm heat in. Peter

Evening All - Released the coupons - all good - Happy with the results. Will dress them tomorrow and then package up to send to the lab. Fingers crossed they get a good result. Although I did this with vacuum, in practice the moulds would be dry stacked then epoxy would be poured into the dry stack until filled. I used vacuum in this case so I did not have to build a leakless mould. Again in practice I would build fibreglass moulds for real parts dry stack, then epoxy fill. Prior trial blocks I have cast this way (maybe call it the fill and spill method) in plastic containers and that all worked....Then we can see if grout or epoxy wins....Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sun bathing.jpg  

?Evening All - I packed up the coupons today and tomorrow post them to the lab. Soon will have definitive info on epoxy/alox etc. Peter

Very clean setup, I think you made a good choice with the M1 frame.

Hi All- I spoke to the lab today. Results for tests will be in early June. Hopefully earlier I want to start designing!!. Peter

slowly warming up to granite plates again, ram type like the m1, proper sheet metal enclosure makes things look really nice

Hi Ard - So what's the biggest attraction to granite vs UHPC? With Grout you can cast the shape you want, with granite you have to have someone that can machine it to shape (hard) or you are limited to flat blocks (easy but not ideal)? Peter

I presume the coritec machine is cutting titanium... nice turned out to be CoCr alloys

they have hybrids as well CORiTEC AM100 - Focus on productivity and results (imes-icore.com)

came across this info on material modulus - Ceramic materials elastic modulus and Poisson ratio | Sonelastic®

teeth https://youtu.be/VTkwYvUMQL0

Chasing ceramics I found a material called Phoscrete sounds interesting. i expect its more $$$ then grout. Plus would have to add alox to it to lift its E from 21GPa to something higher. PHOSCRETE Fixes Concrete FAST!

Start planning the new gantry for Lanky. Peter

with using a surface plate as the bed you're saving a grand, you get a precision reference from the get go. that's probably it. you can use the surface and cast precise parts off it. No additional precision equipment required like a straight edge or a granite beam, these can get expensive in particular. One less part to worry about. Realistically speaking if you can't send the parts to a company for machining, you would still need the plate anyway to make your actual parts on it. If you reuse the plate as the bed, you're essentially saving the price of the plate.

I wouldn't build the whole machine from granite though, it's density is 3-3.2 g per cm3, that's heavy, it would limit the workspace too much. The m1 ram config translates really well to be built on a plate, you get lots of workspace area compared to other frames and chip protection is very easy to implement and cheap, you only need 2 bellows to completely protect everything. Not to mention the shape of the parts fit well with linear motors too.

Hi Ard - Yes starting with a known flat surface is a great start. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Ard - Yes starting with a known flat surface is a great start. Peter
    probably the only way to not require machining and get a decent enough result.

Hi Ard - Well you can cast a slab and lap it flat then your at the same place. Peter

how would you check the final result without an external reference?

Page 81 of 105 3171798081828391