585,667 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Problem with Shaded-Pole Motor

I removed this motor from a bathroom exhaust fan and most likely it has never been cleaned-it was packed with solid lint or something. The motor was not working but after I removed the rotor and did some scraping/cleaning it now spins for a few seconds and then it hums...Would it help if I keep cleaning more or its just a waste of time? And what is the purpose of this wire shown on first picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dsc00794a.jpg   Dsc00795.jpg   Dsc00796.jpg  
    Nicolas

Re: Problem with Shaded-Pole Motor

Try oiling the bearings with some light oil. The green wire looks like a ground wire.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks Jim, will do that
    Nicolas

Shaded pole motors are the least efficient of all induction motors, around 20% eff.
    For this reason, it does not take much to slow or stop them.
    It is usually the oil in the phosphor bronze bearings drys up due to heat and bogs the motor down.
    Clean the bearings thoroughly with a detergent such as kerosene or paint thinner. And soak them in auto ATF.
    That wire appears to a ground?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

One advantage of the shaded pole motors is that they are hard to kill. Even if the motor is locked (due to rust or dirt), it will not burn out. So most likely you either did not reassemble the motor correctly, or did not clean/lubricate the bearings properly.

Turn the motor by hand, it should rotate freely without any resistance. Pull and push on the rotor, it should not have too much axial play and it should still rotate freely when pulled/pushed.

Good to know Al, thanks. After some more cleaning it looks the motor is now running better but still stops after 2-3 minutes. Next is to cleaning the bearings as you said.

The green wire looks like it grounds the support bracket; one end is screwed to the bracket and the other end is connected to one of the 2 bolts holding the rotor trough the magnet.
    Nicolas

Thanks CitizenOfDreams, the problem was with the bearings.

I cleaned the 2 bearings the way you suggested Al and now the motor runs like new, many thanks. It must be a 3600RPM motor because it spins quite fast.

Would this motor have more power than a 48VDC,10A motor I have to run my home made mini band saw? If yes I would make a pulley to reduce its RPM because 3600RPM is too high for a band saw
    Nicolas

I personally doubt this motor would have enough torque for a band saw, unless it's really really small. I think your 48VDC motor is a better candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    I personally doubt this motor would have enough torque for a band saw, unless it's really really small. I think your 48VDC motor is a better candidate.
    Have the same feeling like you CitizenOfDreams but I was thinking perhaps 120VAC has more power than 48VDC. My bandsaw has a 59” total blade length by 1/8” wide, and goes around 3 pulleys and then I have the motor pulley which connects with a belt to one of the pulleys so there is a lot of power lost with all these pulleys. In addition I have a VS controller to reduce the speed on delicate cuts and this also must eat some power
    Nicolas

Shaded pole motors are only good for light loads as per previous post.
    So a band saw would pretty much be out of the question!
    The simple fan versions are all two pole so they are going to run close to 3600rpm on 60hz.
    The ex-treadmill motors and controllers make good options for shop machinery projects.
    There is at least once a week a T.M. not working going free around here for salvage motors etc.
    Kijijiji etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I’m not familiar with treadmill motors but looking briefly on the web I see they are DC motors and so if I go that way I will need another power supply for the DC supply.

Now I have a 48VDC 10A power supply for my hobby mini bandsaw but if I could find a small AC motor (which I just plug into a wall outlet) with enough power to improve my bandsaw I will go for it.
    Nicolas