585,759 active members*
3,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SBR rails or Linear Rails ?

Your Input would really be appreciated.

My current gantry uses electrical din rails with roller bearings for X movement. I am looking to replace them with either SBR15 (or other recommended size) rails and corresponding blocks, or linear rails and their corresponding blocks. Regardless of which is the best, the chosen ones will be mounted vertically on the face of the gantry. The gantry itself is a square birch plywood box; the span is 48” wide. The router that the chosen rails will support is a DW611 mounted using 3/4” birch plywood, i.e., Not heavy as lead, but not exactly light either. Biggest concern is stress on the bearings from either block type. I am attaching a pic of my current gantry setup.

With your recommendations, I would appreciate your thoughts on size or heft of the rail and blocks. Enjoy my CNC, but need to get some play out of it.

Thank you in advance.

Bobby

Re: SBR rails or Linear Rails ?

Hi Bobby - For the type of machine you have round or square rails are fine. I like 20mm as it's a good physical size. They take something like 3 tonne from memory so you won;t undersize them. Round rails are about half the cost of square. Round supported rails work well with timber structures as they have a nice big contact area wheres the square rails have a small contact area and if you do the bolts up hard it will crush the timber. I think I'd go round as it fits with your machine type better. The performance increase to cost benefit would not be realised if squares where used. If space is tight then the square 15mm is the go. Regards Peter

While you are improving your machine,it might be a good time to add a diagonal brace to eliminate any possibility of flexing between your Z axis and the router.

Routalot means a brace like attached - Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bracket.JPG  

Thank y’all for the quick responses. Will do a ???? on pricing / sizings. As far as the router mount brace is concerned, thanks for pointing that out. Ironically, I saw that brace pointed out in a YouTube last night. Great minds run the same path .... y’all’s not mine!

Again, Thanks..

Bobby

solved my issue blogger at : https://mymusicgoals.com/