584,866 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > Lubrication for a ball screw CNC machine

Lubrication for a ball screw CNC machine

One of my CNC machines was supplied with a syringe full of quite thick grease, which I feel is not really penetrating into the bearings well.

I read that 3 in 1 PTFE was a good lubricant for the ball screws and rails.

Is this correct? Also is it best bought as manual applier or aerosol? I'm thinking the aerosol will penetrate better aimed into the bearing area.

Is this one ok?

Re: Lubrication for a ball screw CNC machine

No, not correct.
    Mobilux EP1 or something similar is what you want.
    Look at page 24 in this PDF for some other options.
    https://www.hiwin.com/pdf/lubricating_instructions.pdf
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    No, not correct.
    Mobilux EP1 or something similar is what you want.
    Look at page 24 in this PDF for some other options.
    https://www.hiwin.com/pdf/lubricating_instructions.pdf
    Thank you. But isn't there a supplier that sells this in smaller tubes? I'm surprised how many different products people claim work. On youtube a CNC maker is recommending the one I mentioned in the first post. Is there not a 'de-facto' product that everyone uses for ball screws and rails? I'm looking in UK btw. The maker of my machine (Bionica Systems) is not answering my questions on the product they supplied with it.

I've been using this for 2 years. Seems to work well.

Lucas Marine Grease is a premium, heavy duty lithium complex NLGI GC-LB certified grease formulated with a unique additive system designed to provide maximum lubrication under the most severe marine operating conditions.

Ok. after much research, this one seems to be ideal, as I don't want to buy large grease gun tubes,

Is it a good choice?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/printer-ind.../dp/B07D5J58TT

Looks expensive.I would be sticking with the lubricant supplied,at least until it ran out,and then see what was on the market.Is your main concern the ballscrew nut or the bearings for the ballscrew?

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Looks expensive.I would be sticking with the lubricant supplied,at least until it ran out,and then see what was on the market.Is your main concern the ballscrew nut or the bearings for the ballscrew?
    The lubricant supplied has nearly run out. It was in a large syringe. Light brown grease. I was told to apply to the screw rods X Y Z axis and the 2 rails where the gantry sides up and down the table.

I'm just desperately trying to find something I can order in a tube/Syringe as I don't want the bearings to get dry. I'm really surprised there is nothing out there obvious for this.

The company I bought the machine off seem to have stopped communicating so I can't even ask what type it was. (It has no markings in the tube)

I've used basic grease on three different machines.If they have a grease nipple and you can get a grease gun in there to lubricate things anything has to help.Sometimes you need a particular nozzle on the grease gun.I would expect lubrication points on all the axes,not just those that go up and down the table.If your machine has plain round rails,I would have no idea about what to use.There have been a few British companies selling less than stellar machines which have disappeared over the last few years,I hope you haven't been a victim of one of them.

I've used basic grease on three different machines.If they have a grease nipple and you can get a grease gun in there to lubricate things anything has to help.Sometimes you need a particular nozzle on the grease gun.I would expect lubrication points on all the axes,not just those that go up and down the table.If your machine has plain round rails,I would have no idea about what to use.There have been a few British companies selling less than stellar machines which have disappeared over the last few years,I hope you haven't been a victim of one of them.
    No the machine has been great . Its a Bionica Promill https://www.bionicasystems.com/promill/

I am getting a 2nd machine (Though probably not from them) but it has been great. Unfortunately they do not return messages, so I guess they are having problems.

Ah! Could explain a lot..... Take a look at this thread on a different forum. Newbie .You may well be on your own now. You could sign up over there to get some UK based recommendations if you don't wish to follow my suggestions.

Ah! Could explain a lot..... Take a look at this thread on a different forum. Newbie .You may well be on your own now. You could sign up over there to get some UK based recommendations if you don't wish to follow my suggestions.
    Thank you very much.