586,011 active members*
4,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 4th axis and small diameter parts - looking for ideas

4th axis and small diameter parts - looking for ideas

I need to drill some small holes (.063") into the wrench flats on the head of a handful (16) of 3/8 bolts (.375" dia x 1..250) long. The problem is each part has 2 holes in the end, on two of the wrench flats 60 deg apart
    I've got a 4th axis with a 4" chuck mounted to it but I can't get down near enough to the parts for a small drill-chuck. The chuck jaws are too short to allow the part to be held away from the body far enough for clearance of the drill chuck/holders

I'm thinking of using one of the weldon style 3/8 endmill holders I have but the threads are too small and it's sloppy fit, the 3/8 er11 collet chuck will work but again it's too big around to get in there with a small center-drill etc.

Anyone have some suggestions without a ton of fabricating ???
    Thanks
    M

Re: 4th axis and small diameter parts - looking for ideas

Can you use a 5C or some other form of collet in your 4t axis instead? For a job count that small I'd be tempted to use a a 5C hex collet block like this one:

https://www.shars.com/5c-collet-block-set

Along with a collet stop to make the head location repeatable under the spindle.

I would just thread the end of a piece of the largest bar stock you can fit in your chuck. Maybe taper the end for clearance if needed. Screw the bolt in and make holes.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I was running a job earlier today that is worse than your problem; you could use the same technique. I needed to cut 4 slots on the side of 0.125 diameter stock. To get sufficient clearance I mounted an ER16x20mm collet extension in an ER40 square collet block which I clamped in my vise. I only needed a few parts and it took a few minutes to setup and cut each piece.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Can you use a 5C or some other form of collet in your 4t axis instead? For a job count that small I'd be tempted to use a a 5C hex collet block like this one:

Along with a collet stop to make the head location repeatable under the spindle.

Unfortunately the 4th is a faceplate with the chuck mounted to it, At one company I worked at we had a 5c 4th axis with a small end around the collet, that would work perfection for this
    I played tonight with mounting a er11 chuck into the 4th chuck but it didn't work out well (the 4th chuck isn't what it should be really)
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would just thread the end of a piece of the largest bar stock you can fit in your chuck. Maybe taper the end for clearance if needed. Screw the bolt in and make holes.
    I think this might be the only temporary solution, there shouldn't be any forces trying to unscrew it. I'll need to re-index the stock to align the flats but hopefully it'll be quick
    Thanks
    M

- - - Updated - - -

I do need to invest in some 5c or even er32 collet blocks though
    M

If you want to use your 4th axis rather than a collet block get an ER collet with MT2 shank (assuming that your 4th is like mine). Add and ER extension if that doesn't give enough clearance. I mostly leave a 5c collet chuck mounted on my 4th and that gives sufficient clearance except for the small work.

I think that you'll find an ER40 collet block more useful than a 5c one. On most 5c collet blocks the closer makes it difficult to set a stop on the back side to position the collet chuck at a repeatable location in your vise plus you can't insert a long piece of stock through most 5c collet blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

+1
    If I can get it to fit in a 5c fixture format "5c blocks, 5c chuck or 5c in 3-4 jaw chuck" I can literally have my way with it.
    If the part is real small and problems reaching features I move to an er 20 tts style holder.
    If strange shape or with thin places, I would move to a dedicated mandrel type fixture as Dawson mentions.

An albrecht sensitive drill might be perfect for that, though you feed these by hand via a knurled ring.
    Small enough to get close, and a 20mm stroke on the sliding shaft.

https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/367...drill-chuc.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I think that you'll find an ER40 collet block more useful than a 5c one. On most 5c collet blocks the closer makes it difficult to set a stop on the back side to position the collet chuck at a repeatable location in your vise plus you can't insert a long piece of stock through most 5c collet blocks.
    True, but I have 5c collets as well as a couple of sets of ER32s, no ER40s
    M