584,863 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Removing Rust From CNC Rails

Hi, we have an Intermac Master 33 Stone that has been down for a couple years. I am in the process of repairing and have ordered all new X and Y Linear Bearings. Some of the rails have spots of rust and some are pretty covered. What is the best solution to removing the rust without harming the rails? I read in other forums that the maroon Scoth Brite pad is a good way but i feel like it is too abrasive and is going to round out the ball bearing track ways. I have scrubbed with wd-40 and used some break clean to remove excess grease.

Any info is appreciated thank you!

Re: Removing Rust From CNC Rails

I used vinegar i let it about half hour , and scratch with a wooden chop part.
    This way i think u dont attack too much the steel , anyway it is attacked by rust .
    After u finish , clean with a clean cloth and use some oil to seal the rail .

I may be wrong but believe the rails will be induction hardened and consequently fairly resistant to a mild abrasive like Scotchbrite.If you were using it every day though,there would likely be some cumulative wear.Once every couple of years probably won't be a disaster but if you are doing extremely precise work it would be a good idea to check the first part for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I may be wrong but believe the rails will be induction hardened and consequently fairly resistant to a mild abrasive like Scotchbrite.If you were using it every day though,there would likely be some cumulative wear.Once every couple of years probably won't be a disaster but if you are doing extremely precise work it would be a good idea to check the first part for accuracy.

That's what i thought, I tried it on a corner of the rail and it definitely rounded the corner abit. If i was using it flat i wouldn't be as worried but I need to hit where the bearings run. I did a test spot with a wire wheel on a grinder and very light pressure and it seems to do the trick without causing any noticeable damage. Does this seem like an OK practice or are wire wheels harmful?

Peanut butter and lime juice. Works every time.

Deoxidine with a brush or scotchbrite. Thats the true and proper way to remove rust. Although you will be left with the pitting where the rust was. And you need to ensure that you wash it completely out afterwards. But the rust will dissolve. Also a portion of your skin and eyes so PPE is imperitive.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk