585,557 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > lb12 500L-G post processor

lb12 500L-G post processor

hello, I recently bought a lb12 with osp500L-G, can you suggest me a software with processor place for this lathe? I have seen on youtube cimcoedit and esprit, some of you use these software, are they valid? thanks in advance

Re: lb12 500L-G post processor

Did you check to make sure the machine doesn’t have Okuma’s IGF on it? It’s good code fast.

You’ll get lots of different preferences for CAD systems-mine is GibbsCAM for its ease of use and great post capability. I’ve tried several and find it really is built for the machinists mindset.

I’m sure it mainly depends on what you are familiar with as to what you like.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

my lathe is in german language , i am italian, so igf is difficult to understand ,thanks for the answer, now I take a look at gibbscam , i should try to change the language to my control osp 500 L-G OKUMA LB12 , best regards

Language change is possible,but it requires a software reload from Okuma. If you decide to do it, add in some options if needed in order to accomplish more than just the language change at a reduced cost. For example get cycle time reduction function that will allow you to do things like rapid and change spindle speed at the same time. That way, your option will pay for itself with reduced cycle times...

Your machine should have a Data Management Card in the back electrical cabinet that lists all of the options that you have/could have on your machine. Some are software only, some are hardware + software, and are therefore more expensive.

It's probably cheaper to get the language update than it is to get a CAD system so it's something to consider.

Best regards,

thanks for the valuable information, I also take this opportunity to ask you, to change the language in addition to the floppy disk, as hardware do you need the ptr reader + the floppy disk reader? will my supplier okuma have to give me in addition to the floppy disks also these two hardware that I don't have? best regard

Normally your Okuma distributor has the needed floppy reader that they will use when performing the installation. They should leave the new floppy disks with you when finished, but not the floppy reader.

in addition to the floppy drive, don't you need this too?

Yes, on the older controls the system reset and load switches were located on the tape reader. That went away at the time of the 7000 control and newer so it was no longer needed.

i found out today that my control is osp5000 and not 500 l-g, (the front screen is marked 500 L-G, the cartcaeo manual is 500L-G, but inside the electrical panel all the boards are 5000)

The 500/5000 are basically the same control and share the same drives, boards etc, but the 500 is a "simpler" less expensive control. I think it is capable of driving less axes simultaneously and was speced with less options as standard. I never noticed much difference on the 500 but the 700 model U control was "U"ndesireable because it was way too under spec'd unless options were added and many things were not even possible that were on the 7000. It was typically only monochrome so it looked like a dinosaur and worked like one too. The 500 didn't have these issues.

The LB12 was a solid machine and was a nice sibling to the LB-15. Both pretty bullet proof.

Best regards,

i bought two accessories the ptr and the fdc card, now i need the floppy disk reader hitachi FDD 412A ?