584,879 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Stepper Motor acting erratic Laguna Swift 4x4

Question Stepper Motor acting erratic Laguna Swift 4x4

I have a Laguna Swift 4x4 CNC router, bought it in 2016. I wasn't really sure where to post this thread so excuse me if I'm in the wrong subforum.

I recently moved shops and now one the stepper motors acts really odd and super jerky. It is one the Y motors. I've had this problem before, but only once or twice, and it would just disappear after a restart. Now it just wont go away.

The good motor will spin the correct direction, while the bad one will go randomly and only correct itself once the whole gantry is moving. It shakes the whole gantry sometimes and I'm afraid of damaging the frame or rails or something. It's the moment it first move that's the problem.

I recorded a video of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBDfy5b9F08

While I've personally ran the thing for 4 years, I know very little about how internals work. I've included photos on the internals if that helps.

Thank you

Re: Stepper Motor acting erratic Laguna Swift 4x4

Sounds like a bad wire connection at a terminal. I would go through and tighten all of the terminals and unplug and re-plug anything that will unplug.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Switch the leads to the motor that's misbehaving with those from a motor that's working okay. If the problem migrates to the previously good motor you've at least eliminated the motor as the source of the problem. Then start doing all that stuff Jim suggests above. If none of that helps, you probably have a driver that's gone bad.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I had a similar problem with my x-axis, it end up being a loose connection in the connection block, I only found it as it had chard the wire. Wiggle the wires and examine them closely to validate that they are tight.