585,737 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Punch press tool life monitoring

We have a Fanuc 18I-PB controller in our Amada punch press. I have read about an (I believe) addon tool which can be enabled on those controls that have them or eventually added to them but they are meant to be used by lathes, machining centers and nowadays robots as well.

Some short questions here:

1. Is there anything similar running on the controller for punch presses ?
    2. What other external software is available, if any, and
    3. How do you implement predicitve maintenance for punches and dies ?

Re: Punch press tool life monitoring

1. I do not understand your first question.
    2. What is the purpose of the external software.
    3. There are many variables regarding tooling maintenance. Unlike the standard punch press, the tools in a turret press can be used in different ways and on different materials which makes it hard to implement a tooling maintenance schedule. A trained and experienced operator will be able to inspect parts and slugs and determine if a tool needs maintenance.

Re: Punch press tool life monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy49548 View Post
    1. I do not understand your first question.

Just for clarification, in case someone else wonders, there´s an addon for managing tool life supplied by Fanuc that runs on the controller itself. There´s some information on different videos (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGX...TsugamiAmerica)

There´s a post dated 2006 talking about the subject here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...anagement.html. It is not meant for punch presses but my question was if there´s something similar for a punch press.

2. What is the purpose of the external software.
    3. There are many variables regarding tooling maintenance. Unlike the standard punch press, the tools in a turret press can be used in different ways and on different materials which makes it hard to implement a tooling maintenance schedule. A trained and experienced operator will be able to inspect parts and slugs and determine if a tool needs maintenance.

I have not found any piece of software related to a preventive maintenance schedule for punch presses´ tooling so I guess it does not exist so far (nor will it I guess considering how fast laser is growing).
    Thanks for your feedback.