584,879 active members*
5,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > ac servo to run on battery

ac servo to run on battery

So, ive got a little project for a toy car that would need to use a run of the mill ac servo on battery power.

for size and performance and price, the new delta B3 3kw servo works well on paper. im not 100% sure how id run it on battery power though - if its even possible.

the drives have a shared dc bus, but they arent meant to run on that bus as the main supply.

heres the spec sheet for the B3 motors and drives
    http://www.deltaww.com/event/SPS/pdf...191016_Web.pdf

does anyone know a bit about running these types of drives on a dc only supply?

if that doesnt work, i have a set of old indramat motors and drives, 2.3kw, which run on DC 300v. larger and heavier and less overload performance than the delta, but, similar. the downside is the drives are a mystery box, and i wouldn't know how to alter any settings (they are tuned for a maho cnc using +-10v). they also dont use encoders, (machine had scales) so one would need to be added for control. upside is they are free.

any insight would be appreciated. i know theres all sorts of dc drives out there, but the ones ive seen out there are low voltage and/or very high price and wouldnt suit me here i dont think (feel free to point to any you think would work).

Re: ac servo to run on battery

Hello, my name is Rocky Weber an I am a senior engineering student in high school in Ohio. For my capstone project, I am planning to convert a 3d printer in a desktop router. If you have time to take a quick, easy 10 question survey I would greatly appreciate it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...7MjoB9bMY/edit

The Delta units don't look like they would be compatible with what you want to do. There are some drives that are designed to run on a common DC bus.

I would think that motors from the RC hobby world would be a better fit. There are many high HP units available, and at a reasonable cost. I'm involved with one system that uses about a 3 HP BLDC motor that runs on 12 - 24V, about 5000 RPM max. Some of the drone motors are very high HP and are fully controllable just like a servo motor.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

i need servo control, reliability, dust sealing, and continuous operation.

the motor itself is the easy part. almost any of them would do. the drive is the tricky part. i may email delta, but i think i agree with you, they need the ac mains, and the dc is not intended as the only supply.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    i need servo control, reliability, dust sealing, and continuous operation.
    The ones I am involved with are running under water as the prop drive in a marine application, the controller is in a water tight case.

the motor itself is the easy part. almost any of them would do. the drive is the tricky part. i may email delta, but i think i agree with you, they need the ac mains, and the dc is not intended as the only supply.
    The controllers will take an analog input signal. A servo is any system that has a feedback loop. Hang an encoder on the motor and connect that to your motion controller.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

motor isn't the problem as mentioned, the drive is.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    motor isn't the problem as mentioned, the drive is.
    I should have said ''drive'' above rather than controller. In this case, the drive is built into the motor housing, and is connected to a small external control unit.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Interesting project, could I ask what kind of batteries you are planning to use to get your 300vdc ? I have a job-lot of 2 and 3kw AC servo motors and looking for a project to use them.

battery will be 100 x 18650 cells with about 3000mah each. that would give me 250-420vdc range as the battery runs out, and about 1 hour of run time with an average draw of 1kw.

i will split the packs into 10 modules in series, to keep them easier to deal with, and less likely to send flaming bits of small children across the park.

i think we should rephase the use though to avoid confusion over the type of motor / drive i need. let's pretends its a big industrial cnc machine that needs to run on batteries.

haha.

these are the servo drives i have on hand

https://indramat-usa.com/series/indr...050-300-w1-220

two of the 50 amp versions (ran the 2.5kw max112a motors) and one 100 amp drive that ran the mac112c 7kw motor.

according to the manual using the 100a drive on the 2.5kw motor will yield a 30nm peak torque, with 13nm continuous with fan cooling on the motor. so not as powerful as the delta (57NM peak), and 2 x the weight.