584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > looking for a controller for Mach 3/4 with interface for stepper motors, tool changer

looking for a controller for Mach 3/4 with interface for stepper motors, tool changer

I have a Shizouka mill that originally had a Bandit controller and servo drives. I replaced the Bandit with Mach 3 and a Vital Systems interface. That worked fine until one of the encoders died. I am not an active maching business so because of the cost to repair the encoder, the mill has not been used for many years. It is now less expensive to replace all the drives with steppers than repair the one encoder. Unfortunately, the Vital Systems interface will not work with steppers. One that will is extremely expensive. I need an interface between Mach 3 (possibly 4) and the mill that can control limit switches, a tool changer, a VFD, etc.

Any suggestion the forum might have will be appreciated.

Re: looking for a controller for Mach 3/4 with interface for stepper motors, tool cha

...why not just replace the Encoder with a new one. They are about 150usd each.
    https://www.usdigital.com/products/encoders

Re: looking for a controller for Mach 3/4 with interface for stepper motors, tool cha

These encoders are built into the servos. Lowest price I got to repair...$750. I would then still have 40 year old servos and servo drivers. For $790 I bought all new steppers and stepper drivers. Seemed like a good choice at the time.

Ethernet Smoothstepper.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by j97386 View Post
    These encoders are built into the servos. Lowest price I got to repair...$750. .
    I have replaced many encoders, both shaft type and through hole, generally is is not that a difficult issue?
    The only time it really gets tricky is with BLDC motors where the encoders also have commutation tracks that have to be aligned using a double beam 'scope.
    But not difficult if you have access to one.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Gerry-

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I can't believe the functionality of the main boards and compatible add on boards, all at what I consider very reasonable prices. If I upgraded with new Vital Systems hardware, it would have cost more than $1000.

I don't know why those didn't come up in my searches, especially since I searched Amazon.

Thanks again!!!

Jack

I just noticed you replied the day after I posted the request. I checked the forum almost daily for several weeks and didn't see your post. I pretty much gave up on hearing from anyone with a suggestion. I'm sure glad I checked again.

Jack