584,812 active members*
5,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus Pro Spindle Reverses Instantly

Torus Pro Spindle Reverses Instantly

When I start my spindle it rotates clockwise for half a second and then reverses instantly. It looks to me like the issue is at the breakout board because the rev light comes on when this happens and the vfd rev light comes on as well. I cant think of a reason why mach3 would be giving this command, so i assume the issue is propagating from the BOB. Any thoughts?

I also have another issue that when i start the machine, it comes on and then shuts down for about 3 seconds and then comes on for good again. When it does so, the spindle pulses a few times. Once started up, the first screen i see is not the normal windows screen but some ASUS control board settings screen. These latter issues dont seem to b causing me any problems but am mentioning them as clues to the puzzle for the reversing spindle.

I recently moved the machine to a new house last yr and it took a small spill. It could be issues from that or higher humidity in my new garage (i use a dehumidifier in this garage instead of climate control; not as effective).

Any thoughts you can share w me?

Thanks

Drew

Re: Torus Pro Spindle Reverses Instantly

Did you check all of your connections to make sure they are tight? I don't run my mill in reverse so I would just disconnect those wires. I ran my mill in wet, foggy east coast Canada so I know the mill can take a lot of humidity. What VFD do you have?

If you need a new breakout board I have one I removed when I switched from Mach 3 to a Centroid acorn. I can give you a deal on one if you need it.

Have a good look at the wiring.

Tom

Thx Tom. I ran the spindle and poked around with a screwdriver moving wires to see if the spindle reacted but no dice. It only does it right when i start the spindle. I didnt realize there are dedicated wires for each spindle direction. I will look into that idea tomorrow. Can you PM me a cost on your BOB? Also is the change out plug and play or is there anything i will need to do with repopulating settings in mach3?

This may be a shot in the dark
    Have you got your xml backed up somewhere ? I haven't had that issue but I have had a few odd issues with mach and reloading the xml usually resolved any strange problem .

No i dont. I will look into doing that also

thanks for everyone's ideas. "solved" the problem or at least put a bandaid on it. Turned off reverse signals at the VFD. Not ideal but its good enough for me.

You did exactly what I would have done.

Yes, that was just the right decision!