585,717 active members*
4,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Epilog Legend 32 Not working Missing capacitors

Hello CNC Zone,

I am a member of a hackerspace in the UK and we have received a Epilog legend 32 75w 6000 series laser cutter as a donation. Unfortunately, the machine doesn't work and one of our members has trace it back to 2 capacitors (c1007 & c1012) that appear to have broken off see attached images and have been lost

We have contacted the local distributor who quoted us ~£1000 for a replacement board and we would have to install it ourselves.

I wish to try and repair the board before shelling out that much but need to identify what the components were. I suspect they are the same as their neighbouring components but need to confirm.

Is there anyone out there who has a legend 32 75w 6000 that would be willing to send me high res photos of the equivalent locations so i can compare the marking to confirm my theory or identify what they should be.

The board may be common with other Epilog laser cutters but i don't know. The board part number is c1062934.

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Jason

Re: Epilog Legend 32 Not working Missing capacitors

Were those capacitors really broken off, or were they deliberately removed for frequency tuning at the factory? You might be barking up the wrong tree here.

CitizenOfDream,

Thanks for the reply, that is definitely a possibility. I am not the first person to investigate this issue and can't get a hold of the original owner of the equipment to determine the condition when it was donated. The way it was describe to me was that the components had overheated and fallen off but i am not convinced from the images due to lack of burn/heating marks.

I also think it is odd that the same component location (top in pictures) has been removed/is missing when both locations/components would have been exposed to similar temps. This supports your idea and the tuner would logically pick the same part to remove each time.

If i could find pictures of other equipment that show the components and the owner say it is working then i would be able to use this to notify the space that spending 1k on a new board is more than likely a waste of time.

From a google search for the board part number i have found the attached picture which appears to show 2 caps at each location but it is not clear and could be attached to a completely different spec of laser.

Any helps is much appreciated.

thanks
    Jason

Looks like there are other problems with that board. Maybe it is just the picture but it looks like a cracked solder joint from repeated heating/cooling cycles. Check to see if the 2 caps were in parallel, looks like it or were separate. If one got so hot it fell off , chances are the other is toast.

Solder needs to be removed and resoldered.

65patch,
    Thanks for the suggestion i believe they are in parallel but will check next time i am at the space, which could be some time as we are now in a covid lockdown and we have restricted access.

I did think that the other caps might have bought it but haven't checked yet.

Will let you know what i find.

Jason