584,863 active members*
4,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 0m, S1000 M03; starts spindle, then program freezes

Fanuc 0m, S1000 M03; starts spindle, then program freezes

First of all, I have been reading MANY posts on this forum that have helped me a lot; THANKS!

A friend gave me an Excel 510 with Fanuc 0m control, that of course, had dead memory batteries. I bought parameters from the factory and got things running superficially.

I had to adjust the tool change height and spindle orientation, but I can perform a tool change using the manual switch on the control panel. (not in a program, yet.) Other than this, most aspects have been working fine.

I am writing today because any program I run will start the spindle, but the program freezes at that point. If I take the M03 line out of the program, and start the spindle using MDI, I can run the program just fine.

I suspect that the controller might be waiting for a feedback signal that indicates proper speed before proceeding, but I:
    - Haven't yet put a tach on the spindle
    - Don't know which diagnostic point to read to check the speed sensor
    - Don't know where the adjustment is, should I need it

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

-Jim

Re: Fanuc 0m, S1000 M03; starts spindle, then program freezes

Look in the buffer area on your screen when the machine hangs and see if you see FIN there. If so the machine is waiting for a finish signal.Likely the Speed Arrival Signal. Download an OM Parameter manual and search SAR. You might have to set it to "don't check. "

Make sure you get the proper OM version as some settings are dfferent depending on version.

Quote Originally Posted by the_gentlegiant View Post
    Look in the buffer area on your screen when the machine hangs and see if you see FIN there. If so the machine is waiting for a finish signal.Likely the Speed Arrival Signal. Download an OM Parameter manual and search SAR. You might have to set it to "don't check. "

Make sure you get the proper OM version as some settings are dfferent depending on version.
    That would be parameter 24#2.. Good catch the_gentlegiant

Thanks for the quick replies...

A good catch indeed, however, that parameter is already set to "not checked." (maybe I will flip the bit and see what happens...)

The manual I have is for a 0-MB, and they call the setting "SCTO", Spindle speed reach signal [checked | not checked]......
    (I assume that my controller is a "B", but is there a way to know for sure?)

I have a PDF file of the parameters and searched for "spindle" and "speed", and found nothing else that sounded related...

I have issues with the ATC, like hanging on "Txx M06", but I didn't want to bring it up in this thread, since my current problem doesn't involve tool changes.
    Since I can successfully perform a tool change using the manual switch, I expect the tool state to allow spindle operation. In fact, before I was able to successfully do a manual ATC tool change, the M03 command would NOT start the spindle in a program. Now it starts, but the program doesn't keep going...

I did find some gain and offset parameters for the output to the spindle controller, so I will check the RPM with a tach and calibrate the speed if necessary. This probably won't fix my problem, but it is something that I need to do.

I won't be in front of the machine for a couple of days, but next time I will take better notes about the state of various indications when this happens.

please post here the diagnose parameters,it might be related to it
    and also a picture with the command and the state of the screen

They may be related. Can you program M19 spindle orient? You said that you have lost all parameters did you by chance enter the diagnostic parameters as well? These are values that the ladder uses, some machine tool builders use these for spindle speeds and the like.

I haven't had much time to work on this machine, but I do have some new interesting info...

I wrote a short program to do a couple of moves, start the spindle, and do a couple more moves.
    When I run the program, I get the moves, the spindle starts, then the program freezes. The spindle is still spinning and the cycle start light is still lit.
    When I press the reset button, the cursor jumps down two lines, then when I press cycle start again it simply continues.

This is strange behavior, but perhaps it offers more clues about the solution...

Thanks,
    Jim

Thanks for everyone's input, I can now present the resolution.

I have been scouring the Fanuc manual and found parameter 45.7, HSIF.
    It was set to zero; M/S/T/B code precessing shall be a normal interface.
    I changed it to one; M/S/T/B code precessing shall be a high-speed interface.

I would like to know what this controls, but regardless, after this change all of the freezing problems vanished,

However, this did NOT fix the ATC not working, so I will start a new thread to work on that.

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jjhawg View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input, I can now present the resolution.

I have been scouring the Fanuc manual and found parameter 45.7, HSIF.
    It was set to zero; M/S/T/B code precessing shall be a normal interface.
    I changed it to one; M/S/T/B code precessing shall be a high-speed interface.

I would like to know what this controls, but regardless, after this change all of the freezing problems vanished,

However, this did NOT fix the ATC not working, so I will start a new thread to work on that.

Thanks,
    Jim
    It has to do with how the FIN<G120#3> coil functions in the ladder. Normally once the FIN bit goes to a 1 then the M-code is said to be finished. However, when you set the parameter 45.7 then the FIN becomes the fast type which mean that the FIN has to either turn to a 1 or a zero. The ladder has to be written for the FIN type you want to use.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure how this could happen since I set according to factory parameters.
    Then I took another look at the hard copy that I hand-entered from, and I had missed the "1" for 45.7... :-(

Cool getting with the programmerss

...machines are perfect. Daves fault